1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Aria Pro II SB-1000CB (MIJ in Aria's Custom Shop, Cliff Tribute)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Hi,
    I'm selling my Aria Pro II SB-1000CB, that I ordered from the Aria Custom shop last June/July. This bass is a hotrodded reissue of an Aria Pro II SB-1000 bass, the famous 80's workhorse used by such as John Taylor of Duran Duran, Jack Bruce, and of course, the famed Metallica bassist, Cliff Burton. This bass is a tribute to the Aria basses used by Cliff.

It has a neck through body with a 5 piece maple and walnut neck with ash wings, an ebony fretboard, the signature oval inlays (Very Alembic-y with the body shape), high end light-weight Gotoh tuners, and a fantastic fast loading Gotoh bridge. The pickup is an active dual-coil MB-1E that was specifically designed for these basses, and has an active preamp with a preamp on/off switch. The EQ includes a 6-position rotary switch that goes from 6 distinct preset tones going from a reggae thump, a throaty funk/pop tone, to a super clear and punchy tone that works great for rock/metal, jazz, and especially soloing. It is amazingly versatile, going from a growling Rickenbacker-like snarl to a smooth p-bass thump and everything in-between. That being said, it has it's own distinct sound with punchy/tight sustained lows and ringing bell-like highs, that the SB's are renowned for. Think John Taylor.

This bass is very hard to come by, and I had to have it shipped from Japan and paying quite a bit in shipping/insurance and currency conversion. Needless to say, I've went through a lot to get this bass, and I'm regretfully selling it due to lack of funds. This bass has less than six months of use on it and is in great condition with only a few tiny little dings in the clearcoat that come from casual use and putting an instrument in a case or bag over the first year. I've only gigged it twice for a jazz ensemble and used it for recording and practices.

The action is great, as is the feel. I'm normally not a fan of painted necks or gloss finishes for that matter, as my hands tend to stick, but I did not find this to be the case with the SB-1000CB. It feels very sleek and fast with no sticking at all. The neck is a slim 1.56" wide at the nut and has a very jazz-like profile in width and being only a bit thicker front to back. The fretwork and detail is impeccable and there is great access to the upper register. The bass weighs in at 10.5lbs, but balances perfectly, and with a thick or wide strap, you can't feel a thing. Being only 5'7 and having small hands, this bass is the most comfortable I have played, other than my Brian Bromberg model.

It comes strung-up with fresh Circle K 37-94 balanced strings and I will include a somewhat worn in, but still very useable hardcase. The price is $1,550 shipped, but feel free to PM me anytime for questions and whatever.

And, here she is: (I'll post pics of the case later)
    8491364997_ae6a746181_z.
    SAM_6818.
    SAM_6832.
    SAM_6825.
    sb-1000cb_b_2copy.
    SAM_6839.
    Those curves and angles really add that feel of elegance.
    SAM_6841.

2. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Remember this is the premium Japanese model, not the overpriced Korean imitation.

3. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Any trade interests? I have a nice 83 quilt maple mockingbird NT I am getting ready to put up for sale to fund this very bass.

4. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Not really at this time. Never been a big fan of BC Rich, but Mockingbird's are nice.

5. s3lggiW

s3lggiW

Aug 24, 2011
  6. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Not really interested in another Aria at this point.

7. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Bump for a bass that can be "none more black."

8. Canadian APII

Canadian APII Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Ottawa Ontario
    Beautiful basses. I just bought one locally. Beautiful tone.

9. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Thanks.

10. Every time I think of an Aria Pro II it brings to mind John Taylor of Duran Duran.Bump for a great sounding bass!

11. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    It can definitely do that sound. I played through the Rio album last week with this bass and nailed the tone.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I was going to ask that...(can it do the JT sound?) Hmmm.....

13. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Very much so. In the 6th position on the preamp, it has that super bright slap tone that he uses and just a really aggressive finger style, but on position 4 or 5, it has that nasally 80's pop tone many of the other songs. Basically, tone knob up and preamp set somewhere between 4-6=instant JT (especially if you can get just a tiny bit of drive in your amp/preamp)

14. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Bump for a bad ass bass! I wish I could swing it right now, just not in the cards....

15. MOTORHEADBANGER

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Sold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.