1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Bartolini 57J 5 string Jazz bass Pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by lostrings, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartolini 57J L/S 5 string Jazz pickups. These are replacement pickups for the American Fender 5 string Jazz bass. Bridge: 3/4x41/8" Neck: 3/4"x4". These are hum-canceling. Bright neck/Deep bridge tone. Pickups only..no screws. $110.00 shipped to lower 48...Paypal.

2. Bump...

3. Any idea if these work in a 6-string bass with 16mm string spacing?

I'm going to buy the newest short scale from Rondomusic, and I'll change the pick-ups soon after I've received it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb406natbshort.html

4. Larmer,
    These pickups are not designed for that bass. I think you would be better off with a EMG or Bartoini soap bar pickups because of the pickup openings.

5. Yeah, I realize they're not humbucker sized, but I was thinking if they'd work,
    I'd fill in the holes and build a ramp between the pick-ups. No one would be able to tell there were humbuckers before.

6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Larmer, if these pickups are humcancelling it means they are a "split coil" design, which means there will be a small gap between the coils (and the magnets).

For a 4-string or 6-string pickup, the gap can be right in the center. However, for a 5-string pickup, Bartolini usually tries to put this gap away from the center of the pickup's length, between the A and D strings, at a location based on a range of possible string spacings. This is why these pickups usually have a "minimum string spacing" provided on the Bartolini site (as well as BestBassGear.com, which has much useful information).

The problem with your proposal is that this gap would probably fall directly under one of your strings on your narrow-spaced 6-string bass, which means this string would be noticeably quieter than the other strings. This would happen even if you used both pickups at the same time.

Bartolini does make the "69J" pickups which are meant for 6-string (i.e. Carvin replacement) as well as other humbucking designs that put the gap between the coils in its proper place: right in the center, between the A and D strings.

So, in summary, these pickups really won't work for you.

7. Bump...

8. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    PM sent

9. still available....

10. Pickups are sold. Thank you rockosocko...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.