1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: BBE Bmax-T (OR)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by amos, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Up for grabs is my BBE Bmax-T tube preamp. $225 shipped in the CONUS.

Hmm about this one. I've used it as my main pre since 2004 with a QSC power amp. I replaced the stock GT 12ax7 with I believe a GT 12au7, or whichever one is just a lower gain version of the 12ax7 to tame the ridiculously hot input gain. worked like a charm. The input fancy knob (all the knobs are fancy) needs to be reglued on. one of the pots needs to be sprayed to clear out scratchiness.

I think we are all pretty familiar with this preamp. passive fender tone stack. sonic maximizer and compressor. the tube version is the nicer version IMO because it has a really nice jenson DI that is quiet enough for studio use.

$225 takes it.

Edit: will have pictures up in an hour or two.

2. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Free bump for a smokin' price on a fantastic sounding preamp. I used to play a BBE BMax-T through a QSC power amp, and I loved the tone. I would receive many compliments on my tone as well.

One of the key reasons this pre sounds so good is because the tube circuit is high voltage. That's the secret. Don't be fooled by manufacturers who boast about their product having a preamp tube. If it's a low voltage circuit, then it's just a gimmick and won't have the tone. The BBE BMax-T has high voltage, just like the Kern and Alembic preamps. That's why they sound so dang good.

Somebody is gonna score a good deal here!

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Thanks for the bump SactoBass. I totally agree with your statements. In fact I've compared the BBE Bmax-T to the Alembic F2B and they are _very_ close in tone, for [considerably?] less money. The EQ circuits are pretty much identical.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Bippity Boppity Bumpity Bumpery Bump.

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Sold to tidepool audio in Portland , OR for $125, 20 minutes before I got an offer for $200 :-(. Google tidepool audio and you can still pick up this preamp. I would imagine he will take $250 for it.

6. Cookye

Cookye Supporting Member

need pictures

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    it's sold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.