1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS:Beautiful Sukop 4 string for a very low price!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Jul 26, 2012.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Now that I’m married and have three kids, I find myself having less and less time to play. I probably only get 15 minutes here or there to actually sit down and get some bass time in, so I’m letting most of my boutique basses go and just settling on a bass or two. My loss is your gain. I’ve spent years buying and playing basses and what I have left are the finest basses I’ve had the privilege to own.

Up for sale is a beautiful Sukop four string that is an absolute joy to play. It has a mahogany body with a nice, understated, maple top. The neck is flamed maple and cocobolo and the fretboard is a beautiful, thick ebony board. This bass is special, because more than a third of the neck is cocobolo, which is very uncommon for bass guitars.

Playability is second to none. Steve Sukop designs his basses to be as ergonomic as possible an this bass is a testament to that ideal. This bass has hands down, the fastest neck of any bass I’ve owned, including two Foderas. The Yin Yang I had gave it a run for its money, but the combination of a Jazz profile and the oil finish on the neck gives the Sukop the edge. The neck is nice and thin and I can pull off intricate lines much easier than other basses I’ve owned.

The body is curved front and back in accordance to the curve of the fretboard, so it just feels natural when playing it. This bass is also rare in that it has absolutely perfect balance on the strap as well as standing. I feel that this is a very important feature of a bass. I can just take my hands off of the bass whilst sitting and do other things and not have to worry about the bass going anywhere. It just feels like an extension of my body. It has zero neck dive while on a strap as well. The top horn extends far up the neck making first position an easy reach.

This bass weighs only 7.5 pounds and it has NO neck dive! The only basses I've ever owned that were this light had crazy neck dive to go with it.

Tonally, this bass reminds me of a MTD and I would have a hard time differentiating between the two if recorded. It has that midrange forward tone that MTD’s are known for. The neck pickup is in more of a precision location than a jazz and rolling the blend knob towards the neck pickup gives you a great, modern precision tone with some extra snap from the ebony board. The pickups are Bartolini humbuckers and it has a two band Bartolini preamp. The control cavity is fully shielded, making the bass dead quiet, as well as signed by Steve Sukop himself.

There are some small dings here or there and some finish wear, but nothing serious or very noticeable in my opinion. The bass has been played, but well taken care of.

Price: $1399 plus shipping in a nice Ernie Ball/Music Man hardshell case that is a lot like the newer Fender SKB cases.

Price Drop: $1325

Pictures are by previous owners. I'll take some of my own this weekend.

P1040869.

Sukop012.

Sukop012.

Sukop013.

P1040884.

P1040876.

Michael

2. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    man, I've played a few of these basses and I'll vouch for the epic playability and lightness. If this had 1 more string I'd be in severe GAS mode.

3. Jecodia

Jecodia

Jan 3, 2012
    My goodness, that is a beautiful bass....

4. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I know how you feel. I love this bass and nothing makes me GAS like a Sukop six.

Michael

5. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    That's a LOT of bass for $1400. Sukops play like butter.

6. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That it is and the deal just got better!

Price Drop: $1325

7. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Bump

8. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Bump

9. phishaholik