1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: BFM Fitzmaurice DR250 OR Omni 10 - Take Your Pick!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Dave-in-TN, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Trying to collect funds to build more cabs for the band's PA system, so I'm selling off some of my current collection of BFM cabs. I'm fairly new to TalkBass, but, from what I've read, I don't think that Bill Fitzmaurice or his cab designs need any introduction around here.

I've got two cabs I'm offering for sale: an Omni 10 and a DR250. Both have seen very light usage during their lifetime. The Omni 10 is about 2 years old while the DR250 is a year old. Neither have ever been exposed to smoke or spills of any kind. I plan on keeping one of them, but I'm listing them both so you can take your pick, and I'll keep the one that's left. Since I love them both, I'm OK with either. :)

DR250 ($450 shipped to lower 48):
    - Eminence DeltaLite II 2510 loaded
    - 20-element melded HF array (with on/off switch)
    - ported chamber to maximize bass response
    - 1/2" Arauco plywood with some Baltic Birch pieces inside
    - Duratex finish (has a few tiny dings, but I'll touch it up or send you some Duratex so you can do it yourself)
    - metal corners
    - rubber feet
    - spring loaded folding handles
    - dual speakon connectors
    - tophat for speaker stand mounting
    - one year old--includes throat filler and LP filter mods

[​IMG]
    DR250 with bass and Carvin head

[​IMG]
    Lousy picture, but it shows the back with the speakons and the on/off switch for the tweeter array

[​IMG]
    Here's "perspective" pic. On the left you see two 39"-tall subs (which I have since sold) and, on the right, two DR250's (one of which I've already sold)

SOLD!Omni 10 ($350 shipped to lower 48):
    - 2 x Eminence BassLite S2010 loaded (switchable series/parallel wiring - 4 or 16 ohms)
    - all Baltic Birch construction
    - 8-tweeter array (three-way switchable - 8/4/0)
    - charcoal carpet
    - 1 speakon jack
    - 1 locking 1/4" jack
    - spring-loaded handles
    - heavy-duty plastic corners

[​IMG]
    Omni 10 with Carvin head and Peavey 5-string

[​IMG]
    Rear view showing jacks and switches (bottom switch is for series/parallel wiring on the woofers, top switch is for tweeters - all/half/none)

Payment and Shipping/Pickup:

Acceptable payment methods are PayPal, cashier's check, or money order. Shipping will be UPS Ground. If you prefer to pick it up here in Northeast Tennessee, I'll adjust the price to account for not having to ship.

2. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I've been asked about the dimensions and weight of the cabs. Sorry for neglecting to provide that in the initial post. The Omni 10 is 26" tall x 21" wide x 16" deep. It weighs about 55 lbs. The DR250 is 22" x 22" x 22" and weighs about 50 lbs.

3. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Replaced pic of DR250 on speaker stand with one of DR250 with bass and head. Figured that was more relevant to most everyone on here.

4. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Are these 4ohm cabs?

Also what and how many Delta's in the Dr250?

Which of these is better for bass guitar?

5. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    The Omni 10 is switchable so it can be used either as 4 or 16 ohms. The DR250 is 8 ohms. Both have a much higher sensitivity than standard cabs so they require less wattage to produce the same amount of SPL. Of the two, the DR250 has a higher sensitivity which pretty much negates the difference in ohmage between the two.

The DR250 has a single DeltaLite II 2510 in it. The Omni 10 has two BassLite S2010's in it.

That's really a subjective call based on the sound you like and your particular situation. They are both great IMO, but they are different. The Omni 10 has more low end while the DR250 is stronger in the mids (due both to the difference in drivers and the design of the cab itself). Both have a very clean sound (i.e. uncolored by harmonic distortion) that does a good job of cutting through, but the DR250 has the edge in that category.

There are other BFM designs which deliver more power in the low end, but these cabs do a wonderful job of doing what they are designed for--smallish lightweight cabs with great quality sound that cuts through the mix and projects very well. I play a 5-string bass through both of them and have been pleased with the results. They won't cause any earthquakes, but you'll never get drown out or lost in the mix either. If you really want to generate some seismic activity, either one can be used in a biamped rig with an appropriate sub (although I never felt the need to do so)

If there are nny other BFM users reading this who have experienced either of these two designs, feel free to chime in...

EDIT: Here's a link to the SPL Charts forum on the Bill Fitzmaurice website. If you're into charts, this can yield a lot of insight into how Bill's different designs compare to each other and to many standard commercial cab configurations.

6. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks Dave
    I'm thinking about the Omni 10.
    Will keep you posted.

7. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I use a DR250 for bass. People find it hard to believe there's only a single 10" driver inside that cab. It is authorative and very well defined. You may not become friends if you're after an old school sound. Quite a bit larger than the average 1x10, plays quite a bit louder as well.

I have never played an O10 (just started preparatory work on a pair of Omni 10.5's, basically an Omni 10 cut in half), so I cannot comment yet on the difference between the two models.

8. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Thanks, Antonius. It's very helpful to have several people who have heard these cabs try to describe them. That way others get a more complete picture. Good luck on your O10.5's. I predict you'll love them! :)

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I built and play an Omni10. It's a great sounding cab - clear and defined, with good low end and very defined (but not honky) mids.
    I brought it to the NorCal GTG and was even more impressed with its sound after hearing it next to some better known boutique speaker cabs.

10. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Thanks for the second opinion, kesslari. Glad you're enjoying your Omni 10! :)

11. Well, unfortunately I'm not interested in yours, as I plan to build my own... :smug: But from what you wrote about them, is it safe to say you don't feel the DR250 suffers from what many have said about older folded horn cabs not "filling out" til a good distance from the speaker?

Brian

12. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I've never done any testing (formal or informal) to look at that issue, but it's not something that has ever struck me as being a problem. More than half of the usage these cabs have seen has been in my den at home for practice and listening to music, and I've never had any issue with either one while sitting or standing 8-10 feet from them. One thing that is true with any cab, however, is that you won't hear it well if you're standing right next to it and it's pointed at your knees. These cabs are no exception as they are intentionally designed to have a tighter vertical dispersion than is commonly found in most cabs in order to minimize reflections off the floor and ceiling and maximize horizontal dispersion to your audience.

BTW, good luck with your build!

13. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Bump!

14. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Got a PM offering $300 for the Omni 10. While I sincerely appreciate the interest, with the cost of shipping, I can't go any lower than the $350 in the original post. Sorry.

15. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Omni 10 on hold through Friday pending payment...

If anyone is dying for the the DR250, let me know. I said I needed to keep one of them for my own rig, but I may be able to let them both go if I can make some time to build a replacement.

16. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For what it's worth, I bought a DR250 from Dave a while back. The cab is extremely well-built, and Dave's a breeze to work with from initial contact to delivery. The cab sounds fantastic, and I've actually used some other DR250s before, so I've got a good point of reference there. I actually use the cab in more of an "old school" setup--tube amp, analog effects, passive pickups, etc.--so I personally don't find the argument that the cabs aren't for "old school" players very compelling. But of course that all depends on taste. Personally, I get a little bummed when I have to hook my rig up to a "normal" cab these days.

17. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    The Omni 10 is sold!

As I mentioned earlier, if anyone is dying for the the DR250, let me know. I may still consider letting it go. In the meantime, I'll happily keep it as my own bass cab.

18. modwickman2020

modwickman2020

Mar 20, 2004
    Ohio
    Do you happen to know the specs on the DR250?

19. Dave-in-TN

Dave-in-TN

Apr 21, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Not sure what kind of specs you're looking for. The only details that I didn't include in the original post are that it's an 8-ohm cab with 250W power handling. Is that what you're looking for?

Be aware that the sensitivity on this cab is phenomenal which means that it takes less power than most cabs to make a lot of noise. It's about equal in "loudness" to the Omni10 (listed above) which has twice as many drivers. Here a chart from Bill Fitzmaurice's website comparing it to a typical 4x10 w/tweeter...

4x10.

This chart and many others comparing all the Fitzmaurice cabs to each other and to other cabs can be found here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.