1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Blown PAS 10" 8ohm speakers (4)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 23, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I picked up an SWR Goliath II a while back, and it was advertised as Blown. I did some investigating and it turns out that there is definately something wrong with the speakers. When plugged in, they reproduce sound and move air, but there is theis distortion that somes out of them; sounds as though using a distortion pedal. They don't flop & flutter like a broken cone would. I tried each speaker individually and they all make the same distortion noise. Visually all the cones are intact (although slightly creased). Pushing down on the cone yields an audible friction, but not necessarily "scratchy". An ohm meter across the speaker terminals yields 4.5 ohms (they are rated at 8 ohms)
    Here is a link to Eminence speakers explaining this:
    http://www.eminence.com/faqs/faq14.asp

So here's the deal, they probably need to be reconed. I don't know if the voice coils are damaged or what. If they are, I'm not sure if they can be repaired. So someone with more knowlege about speakers may like to chime in. I'm sure someone with reconing experience may want these, or someone just may want to give reconing a try.

These are the Good-quality PAS speakers with a cast aluminum frame, not stamped steel. They have large magnets. I don't have any pics, but I can take some upon request (or I'll just post them later...)

How about $10 a speaker (+ shipping). I have good boxes with padding for speakers, they'll ship safely.
    or make me an offer