1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Bluebond 5-string handmade bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kleingeld, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kleingeld

kleingeld Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    I know I'm going to regret this, but I'm putting my beloved Dale Bluebond 5-string up for sale. I bought this bass from Rich at Bluebond in 2005. It had already seen a lot of life by that time, and I have put many many hours on this bass as well. It is a great bass; a real player.

Of note: 5-string, neck through body, Bartolini PUPs and electronics, master volume, blend, treble, bass, 2 coil taps, approximately 9.8 lbs, 24 frets, 34" scale, includes hardshell case. Everything is original on this bass. It was built sometime in the early '90s.

I've posted a bunch of pictures here:
    Bluebond pictures by DingBassSale - Photobucket

It is a beautifully built instrument. Check out the electronics cover on the back and the truss-rod cover on the head. Dale knew what he was doing and put meticulous care into making all of his basses.

As I say, this bass has been a working instrument for years, and the life it's led can be read on its face. Structurally and mechanically it is in fantastic shape. Cosmetically it shows its use. The finish is worn through above the neck pickup from all the hours of a thumb resting there. The finish on the back has worn through from hours of resting against a belly. There is a small chip on the back of the head near the G tuner. The back of the neck shows where a thumb has run up and down it thousands of times. I've done my best to capture all of this in the pictures.

Why am I selling this bass? I guess it's just time to move on. I'm a flipper of instruments and I've held onto this one much longer than usual. For a long time it occupied my #1 slot. Then it moved to #2 when I bought a Roscoe. Then it moved to #3 behind a Manne, and now it's #4 behind a Jazz. It's time for this bass to move to another collection and for something different to come through mine.

What to ask? What's a one-of-a-kind, handmade bass that shows years of loving and playing worth? I don't know. There's no precedent here for a Bluebond even being sold. If I were to take a shot, I'd think this is worth something in the $2K range. I want it to move on, though. I'm going to ask $1,500 for the bass and case, shipped and insured CONUS. If you're anywhere near Philly (let's say NYC to Baltimore), I'd even meet you part way for a gentle handoff.

Please ask any questions you have. I am open to discussion.

Thanks for looking. :bassist:

2. kleingeld

kleingeld Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    SOLD!

3. It does in fact say sold one post above the one you posted.

treblok likes this.
  4. treblok

treblok

May 17, 2010
    It found it's way to me. Thanks for posting pictures,etc... It is a fine instrument.