1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Brubaker Brute MJX5 - 5-string Jazz/Musicman

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by stflbn, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I just recently bought this from Donovan. Gigged it once, then was notified that my 3-4 gigs a month band had decided to take a 12+ gig a month deal as a house band.

This is the 3rd time in 3 years I've had gigs turn from perfect for me to to many gigs to fit with my full-time career. So... I give. Enough fighting it...

For Sale:

Brubaker Brute MJX5
    5-string with Jazz/Musicman pickup config
    New improved Electronics Package.
    2-band preamp
    Vol/Blend/Bass/Treble
    Dunlop Chrome Strap Locks
    Will ship in a brand new RoadRunner Polyfoam case thats on it's way to me now.
    Also will include a Comfort Strapp with Straplocks on it.

Once I received the bass I gave it a quick fret leveling, recrown and fret polishing to address a couple frets that could have been better to achieve lower than normal setup. It plays and sounds phenomenal. This is a very modern, snappy, punchy bass, yet is very very versatile. Can do fantastic slap tones, or great finger style tones with the treble knob rolled back.

Currently strung with D'addario ProSteels which greatly accentuates it's snappy modern nature.
    Also have the fresh stock Strings (appear to be SIT's) as well as a brand new packaged set of D'addario XL .45 - .105 with tapered .130 B-string, and another used but alcohol bathed set of what I think may be SIT's.
    I added a set of copper colored fretboard markers to it... they match the color of the pick guard great... they can be peeled right off.

$680 shipped for what's mentioned above.
    Which means you're getting the bass shipped for what I payed, plus the fret work, plus a free case, plus strings, strap, etc.

Would consider trades for 6-string electric Guitars (not basses) SSS, SSH, or HSH... prefer with Floyd style term on them or no trem at all. Must have at least 2 pickups.

(Will shoot better photo's of entire bass once it's not raining and crappy outside.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Great price for a bass I would live to grab but timing is off.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    NICE bass and great deal for what you're getting in total. What's the HS look like? Do you know how old the bass is? Notable dings/damage?

4. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Beautiful. All I have is trade bait. Good Luck with the sale.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Headstock is natural. Same color as the fretboard and neck. Same as all the Brutes are.

I would consider some versatile 6-string electric trades.

6. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I have two 6ers. One (R.M. Mottola custom) is very nice....but kinda heavy.

7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Spectacular!

8. NiteFury

NiteFury Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    wow thats a great deal right there, if the pickguard was flamed blue ...

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    More complete set of photo's added.

10. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nice looking bass!

How do you find the neck on this fiver? Strong (i.e. not mushy or willowy)? Stable? Easy to get around?

How is the low B on this? I'm asking as someone who's never played a low B he was 100% satisfied with -- the closest I've come was getting to try a friend's STR and Zon 5 strings (fretted and fretless, respectively), which were pretty darn close. (That said, I'm relatively new to the world of the low-B, and there are, I am sure, many fine low Bs out there yet for me to try.) A perfect low B, to me, would:
    • be quick and articulate
    • have a strong fundamental and clear pitch definition well into the higher frets (the STR was really impressive in this regard, being useable on all 22 frets)
    • match the other 4 strings well in feel and tone (i.e. it should feel like a 5 string bass, not a 4 + 1)
    • have no "woofy" notes/dead spots
    • slap like the E-string!
    Re. the last, I like to slap. A B-string for me isn't fully useable unless it slaps as well as the E.

I realize that I'm using much pricier basses as a standard of comparison, but the above is an "ideal" after all. For the record, I have a four-string Brute with the same pickup configuration (though with the Bart pickups/pre) and find that the way it plays and sounds is VERY impressive for an instrument in its range. It's nice and resonant acoustically and the neck shape on the four feels good.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Well, I've not touched a 4-string so it's hard to compare.

The neck is wide, very flat, and very thin front to back IMHO.

Here's a video of Donovan from Fretspot (who I got the bass from new) and I believe this is this actual white bass in the video.
    Brubaker BRUTE - YouTube

You can definitely hear the snappy nature of the bass and the maple neck that I mention in that video of Donovan's. Even more so with Stainless strings than with the stock ones that people believe are SIT's.

Next set I'd planned to try on it is a set of D'addario XL's with a Tapered B-string, and that new set of XL's will come with the bass.

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I mentioned having the MM/J setup (albeit different pups) on my four string. I dig it -- nice clear sound with the neck pickup favored or soloed, nice slap sound with the neck pickup slightly favored, nice burpy tone with the bridge pickup soloed.

Never tried one of these with the J/J setup, though. Curious if you (or anyone reading) have, and your impressions of the two compared to each other. If the neck pickup location is the same, then of course you'd expect the neck tones to be as well -- I'm wondering about the blended/bridge solo sounds.

Again, nice looking bass, and best of luck!

13. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks for the link! I think we were typing at the same time. Will watch and listen once I get some decent headphones.

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Clarified that i'd consider trades for tonally versatile 6-string electric Guitars (not bass) prefer with Floyd style term on them or no trem at all. Must have at least 2 pickups.

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It appears as though this is sold to user: bassnz and on it's way Monday or Tuesday to New Zealand.

16. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    That was quick! Sweet looking bass. Congrats.

17. Indeed! thanks for the trade stflbn.

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    This is done, payed and going out to NZ as soon as the RoadRunner case arrives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.