1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Brubaker Lexa 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Justyn, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm simplifying my life down to one bass for a while, and as nice as this one is, it doesn't see any time with my current projects.

The details:

- 1998 s/n 9809
    - Tuxedo-Ceruse finish on swamp ash body
    - Maple neck
    - Epoxy finish over lined ebony fretboard
    - 34 and 5/8” scale. Odd, right? But it's very comfortable and the B string kills.
    - Lane Poor pickup in the sweet spot
    - ACG EQ-02 filter preamp
    - Hardshell case
    - 8.4 lbs
    - Currently strung with D'Addario nickel rounds

I bought this bass here on TB a few months back. It came with a Seymour Duncan STC-3 preamp, and I'll include that as well, but I've since replaced it with an ACG EQ-02, which, as far as I'm concerned, should be the default preamp on any active fretless bass. Takes some getting used to, but performs beautifully mated to the Lane Poor soapbar.

If you want to get even more fiddly, I have the passive control all wired and ready to go as well, I just didn't think it was necessary and it'd be a tight squeeze in the control cavity. A separate battery compartment could always be routed.

Overall the bass is in excellent condition though there are a few dings in the clear coat (see pictures).

Tonally, as you might expect, it's growly, like a boutique Willis bass. Very articulate, though it also gets nice and woody with a set of tapewounds. Very responsive to picking hand placement.

On the downside, there's a bit of a dead zone between the 5th and 7th fretlines on the G string. It didn't bother me enough to try any of the common remedies.

Asking [DEL]$1250[/DEL] $1200 shipped in the U.S. Don't hesitate to hit me up with any and all questions.

I might be up for a trade for a solid fretted 5. Something in the Precision, Jazz or Stingray vein would be good.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    More pics.

Attached Files:

3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    And a few more pics.

Attached Files:

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump.

6. CactusmanDoug

CactusmanDoug Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Great bass...awesome tone from these gems.

7. The Professor

The Professor

Nov 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I used to own this bass (1998-2011-ish).

Great Gary Willis tone, but still flexible. It plays great, weighs almost nothing, and has "mwah" for days!

GLWTS!

8. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Traded!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.