1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Carvin SB4000 w/Spalted Maple Top...Smokin'!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dirty Dave, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    This bass plays and sounds amazing to me. As a long time fan of Carvin, it will be hard for me to part with...but I have way too many other great basses right now as well, so I'm going to let it go. If you've been thinking about purchasing one of these...trust me...this is the one!!

IMG_0003.

Spalted maple top, gold hardware, gold plated logo, active electronics, ebony fretboard w/abalone diamond inlays, etc. Excellent condition.

Go to the following link to see more pics, including one of which has an exact listing of all the options (from the Carvin shopping cart).

http://photobucket.com/davefitzsb4000

An SB4000 configured like this from Carvin costs over $1500 and has about a 4-6 week build time...but you can buy this one right here, right now.

$800 shipped. This low price has to be firm. Not interested in trades. I accept (fee free) PayPal, check or money order. Continental U.S. only.

2. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    Bump for a great jazz bass...

but why its top looks grass yellow in some pics and brown in others?

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Probably the poor fluorecscent lighting in my basement studio. The pics that look more "brown" were taken in a different location and are truer to the real appearance. I may try to take some better pics when I can find the time now that you've brought it to my attention.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    damn, really nice. I gotta sell my passive J. I need an active one.

This is a jazz neck, volume blend bass treble? Am I wrong?

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA

It's a 34" scale with a 20 fret neck...full specs for neck & fretboard can be found here:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/sb4000

Carvin actually does the controls a bit different with this model. Each pick up has its own volume control and then you have the passive (push/pull) tone control and the active (stacked) tone control. See the following PDF:

http://www.carvinservice.com/crg/manuals/sb_bass_controls.pdf

6. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Bump for a striking spalted beauty :bassist:

7. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Its a cool bass, appreciate the resources man. Carvins are RARE birds in our area

Just to clarify... "The passive tone
    control functions as passive whether the bass is
    set to Active or Passive"

So even in active while you are EQing bass & treble you have "tone" control?

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thank you :D

That picture is very true to the actual color and appearance of the bass. Whoever decides to buy this is going to get a great playing bass with the original factory set-up still intact. I still have not even had to adjust the truss rod.

As for the tone...let's just say it sounds as good as it looks!!

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You know...that is a very good question and I can't remember if that is a true statement or not. I know out of habit I usually set it near the center position but I can't remember if it actually modifies the tone while in active mode. Maybe another SB4000 owner can chime in on this...otherwise I will try to get back to you when I get a chance to pick up the bass and experiment with that.

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    You ever figure out if the tone knob affects tone while in active mode?

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Not yet...I had band practice last night and got home too late to try it. I'll check it out tonight...stay posted.

12. Yes the tone knob works while in active mode. You can boost/cut the bass/treble and use the tone knob at the same time.

GLWTS

13. Dig this bass. If you change you mind on trades let me know.

14. I own a SB4000 in spalted maple/ebony and it is the best four string I have ever owned. I can't get enough of the growl these Carvin's put out. With the flip of a switch the passive mode does a VERY good traditional Jazz bass sound. I constantly tell people that a better bass cannot be had for less than 2k than the SB series... IMO ;)

15. Latinferno

Latinferno

May 19, 2010
    Lompoc
    Weight?

16. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I just saw Eds videos on the SB5000 & yes you are true. Really cool feature. Great bass

17. +1 on that bass. I still miss it.

How can this still be up for sale!?!

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    And there ya' go...thank you. I was finally able to verify this myself last night. The difference in tone was kind of subtle to my ears...but it was definitely being altered.

I wouldn't be one to argue with that. I've owned quite a few Carvin basses now and the SB4000 is their best one yet, IMO. The build quality is impeccable, the playability is extremely comfortable and the tone is killer!! Wait...why am I selling this again?? Oh yeah... too many basses (stay focused Dave LOL).

Yikes!! This question burns me with potential sales everytime I try to sell a bass. I will have to invest in a decent scale just to weigh my basses. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer right now but will try to get back to you with it when I can.

19. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Wow! If I'm not mistaken, that top has some flame going in addition to the spalting. Goodness, that's quite a looker.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I only have a cheap bathroom scale to go by but I tried weighing it a couple different ways this morning and was getting meausrements between 9.5-10lbs.

Ohh...and Price drop!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.