FS: CB Cliff Bordwell 4-string Ball Bass Tulipwood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by miskha, Mar 1, 2011.

1. miskha

miskha

Apr 28, 2006
    Hello there,

I'm sure you've heard it before: I never thought I'd get rid of this bass; I've a chance to jump on my dream bass, the one I've been interested in since I began to play, but I digress!

I've owned several of Mr. Bordwell's instruments. They are all really amazing, playable works of art. In my opinion this is one of the more beautiful examples of his work! I am the second owner, according to the guy that sold it to me.

Here are the specs:

Dimensions:

Scale length: 34''
    Neck shape: Jazz
    Width at nut: 1.5
    String spacing at bridge: 20mm
    Body thickness: 1.5
    Weight: 8.5 Lbs

Construction:

Neck: 5 Piece Maple/ Bubinga, Neck Through
    Fingerboard: Brazilian Tulipwood
    Fingerboard radius: 16''
    Nut: Bubinga

Body Woods:

Top: Birdseye Maple (Full)
    Core: Spanish Cedar
    Back: Spalted Maple (Wings only)
    Headstock Plate: Birdseye Maple

Hardware:

Bridge: CB Hardwood Brazilian Tulipwood w/ Bubinga Saddles
    Tuners: Hipshot Ultralites (Satin Chrome)
    Truss rod: Two-way Adjustable
    Frets: 24 (Medium Gauge)
    Strap buttons: Strap Locks
    Output: 1/4'' Side-mount

Electronics:

Pickups: Kent Armstrong with Tulipwood covers with carved-in thumb-rests
    Preamp: 3-band EQ
    Controls: Bubinga knobs

This bass, out of all the others I've owned and played over the years, is a bit unique-sounding; I attribute this to the Brazilian Tulipwood fretboard, the pups (obviously!), and the CB Hardwood bridge (also Tulipwood). I would describe the sound as a very hot, woody sound with more-pronounced mids and a very deep and strong low end, and just the right amount of high-end bite. The wooden bridge might worry some, but honestly it's rock-solid, and looks smashing to boot! And the differences it imparts upon the overall tone are very interesting and definitely set this puppy apart from other basses. It's currently strung with DR Red Devils which I think feel pretty darn good, and really accent the bass nicely (other than the spots where I've played the red off the devils, so to speak!).

Before owning this bass I never had a chance to feel, let alone play, any Tulipwood. It's a very striking wood, and it's very hard. I would almost compare it to wenge in that it has an almost "waxy," or slightly "oily" (in a good way!) feel; and although it's very hard and pretty dense, this waxy feel makes it feel very soft and smooth to the touch. It's a very fast feeling board, and the carved-in thumbrests in the Tulipwood pickup covers are amazingly comfortable! I definitely want thumbrests like these on any future bass I have built!

The spalted back wings and control cavity cover are jaw-dropping. Just stunning. Same with the Birdseye maple top; it gets a constant flow of comments from friends and onlookers alike! And the Spanish Cedar body is an interesting subtle orange that really ties this bass together!

In the time-honored TB tradition of full disclosure with other low-end brethren: there is one aspect of this bass that I would say is less than perfect. That is: the action of the Bubinga saddles is by default at medium-high. It's not insanely high, and the intonation is not off, but it's definitely not one of those super-low-action basses. However, there are included 6 replacement Bubinga blocks that a skilled woodworker or luthier could use to make lower-action-replacements. That's really the only gripe I would have about this baby.

Here are some photos:

CBball10.jpg

CBball11.jpg

CBball14.jpg

CBball8.jpg

CBball15.jpg

Here's a link to my photobucket album with more photos of the bass, case, and accessories:

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc365/miskhar/

The bass comes with a TKL hardcase and the replacement saddle-blocks, and allen wrenches. I'm going to ask what I got it for, which is $2100 shipped and insured, or $1900 + shipping and insurance, whichever is cheapest for you. I'm hoping to keep this in the U.S., but I would consider shipping to Western Europe or Canada for a bit more (just to cover extra shipping costs). I can accept paypal or a wire transfer.

If you have any further questions or offers, don't be shy to PM me! Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. TateEvan

TateEvan

Jun 23, 2008
    Glad it's not a 5 stringer! Bump for a fellow Bordwellian!

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    pm'ed

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've played this bass....lovely instrument.

5. miskha

miskha

Apr 28, 2006
    PM's replied to! Nothing set in stone yet but there have been a couple of very close offers; if you're interested now would be the times to jump on it!

6. miskha

miskha

Apr 28, 2006
    Edit: Photos of the wood bridge from every possible angle, as per request! They can be found in my photobucket page, which is linked in the first post!

7. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    gimmee :hyper::bassist:

8. miskha

miskha

Apr 28, 2006
    This puppy is sold! Thanks for the interest...

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021