1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Custom all black G&L SB-2- or trade for fretless G&L (for real this time!)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sunbeast, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    After going back and forth on this bass several times (as I'm sure some of you may have noticed), I have finally decided to sell it. The best looking bass I've ever owned, and probably the most aggressive and definitive tone I've ever heard from a passive bass- it'll bite your head off! I just don't have a need for 3 fretted basses, and this one happens to be the new odd man out since putting an Audere in my Darkstar'd J-bass.

I will sell it straight for $925 shipped OBO (no low-ball offers please...). I really need money more than anything for an upcoming move (the reason I'm trying to slim down the excess basses), but there are a few things I'd trade for (naturally- GAS for new stuff always outweighs lack of money): nice fretless G&Ls (preferably older ones- old-style SB-2s, L1000s, L2000s, Interceptors, El Toros, etc...), Rickenbacker 4001s, 4003s, or 4004s. For the right Ric I would add some money on my end, but I'd prefer to do a straight trade for the right G&L. I also am not interested in basses 10 pounds or over...

IMG_0321.
    The Details:

It is an alder body finished in black with matching headstock. Standard 1.5" nut width, but with a skinnier neck profile front to back than a Fender Jazz I believe. Probably the fastest neck I've played- maybe tied with my old Carvin. The fretboard is ebony without any position markers on the front (there are position dots on the top of the neck). The matching headstock, ebony fretboard, and lack of position markers are all custom options/upgrades which cost more + the ebony fretboard option is no longer offered by G&L on fretted necks as of a couple months ago! Don't have a scale at the moment- but it is lighter than any of the other G&Ls I've owned. I'd guess its around 9 pounds or so.

Here are some pretty old pictures-
    http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Custom SB-2/
    I will take some new pictures soon!
    I have since changed the bridge volume control to a stacked tone/ bridge volume, as SB-2s do not have tone controls stock (just a volume control for each pickup). I also modified the tone part of the pot to be a "no load" pot when all the way up- so you get a true SB-2 setup when the tone is dimed. Contrary to many SB-2 owners findings, I found the stock 2 volume setup to be insufficient for my needs- With the tone control, you can go anywhere from "bite-your-head-off" aggressive to old school thump. On a stock SB-2, I find it near impossible to tame the aggressiveness...

It is in pretty good condition- there are maybe a half a dozen or so small scratches/ dings that probably wouldn't even be visible on a non-black finish, as well as a fair amount of "swirling" on the black pickguard and the finish, which is pretty much unavoidable on a black guitar! There is also some dulling of the finish shine above both pickups where I anchor my thumb. Lastly, there is a small area at the end of the fretboard that appears to be an inconsistency in the wood and there is a very small raise right at the body end of the fretboard- it came that way from the factory and doesn't affect playability, so I never worried about it. It isn't really noticeable from straight on. I'll try to get a picture of it anyway. Basically, I've been careful with the bass- but have also played the hell out of it! I just traded the original case away with another G&L, but I'll probably be inclined to throw in a hardshell case that is way better than the original anyway (the G&L cases SUCK!).

Thanks,
    Karl

2. PM sent

3. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow- on hold pending payment! Send me all those Rickenbacker trade offers anyways, just in case...... ; P

Karl

4. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    That is one spectacular bass. Congrats to the new owner.

5. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sold- no turning back for me now!

6. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    Greg, you dawg you!!!!

Congrats, she's a beauty!!

7. Thanks, Gary.

I was just barely resisting Craig's red swirl SB-2, when this one popped up again. Might even take it on tour....

-GB

(If anybody's curious you can hear our new album here for free
    http://www.fanaticpromotion.com/ecards/thejetage
    featuring a '94 alder-body SB-2 on most tracks - except track 1, which is a '92 L-1000 obtained right here on TB).

8. Discharge

Discharge

Nov 25, 2006
    Damn missed out on this bass by a matter of mins, i'm really quite envious...

I really like your bands stuff, you remind me of sonic youth a little :)

What bass/set up did you use on "Shake"?

9. Thanks a lot for the compliment!

I'm pretty sure on "Shake" that I'm playing the alder-body 1992 L-1000 in parallel mode, with a pick; with the volume dimed (or nearly), and the tone(s) rolled off a bit. The amp is my good old trusty 1970s SVT played through an Avatar 4x10 cab.

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm sure you'll love it- its a head turner, for sure. By far the most cutting tone I've ever heard from a bass too- a little too much I think for my current musical direction (even with the tone cut added!). I will definitely regret getting rid of it, but my current and future guitar players will probably thank me...Oh yeah- it'll ship tomorrow. Had to find a new box to ship it in today.

Karl