1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Custom "MusicMan Jazz P Bass" by Atkinson Basses

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (FOR SALE ONLY, NO TRADES)

Hey gang. Here's another piece of inventory I'm liquidating for less than my cost, simply because it's a fretless and I don't play fretless. It is priced to sell!

This is a prototype from my custom "Evoke" series I'm working on. This is model 2 of 3. You can see it is a hybrid design, with a P-bass style body, a MM pickup, and the optional J pickup also. For now the name is rather boring: "Evoke MM4"

Here are the details: The body is Ash (a truly gorgeous specimen) made by USACG. Finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, 3-tone sunburst, satin finish. Neck is also by USACG. Maple with ebony fingerboard, thin profile, 12" radius, 1.5" nut width, graphite reinforcement. Hipshot tuners. The headstock is finished in nitro and the back of the neck is finished in Tru-Oil. Visually it's very hard to see the transition. If you do some reading on Tru-Oil you will find it is considered the holy grail of neck finishes. It feels great on the hands.

Pickups are Seymour Duncan. The neck is a STK-J2 stacked humbucker, and the bridge pickup is a SMB-4A "MM" style.

The bass is currently wired passive. I had planned to install an Aguilar OBP-1, but after waiting 6 weeks for my preamp to ship from Aguilar, I got impatient. It sounds surprisingly good passive. But obiviously you can install a preamp if you want. This thing would absolutely kill with a nice pre.

The controls are currently 3-way toggle switch, volume, tone. I prefer the toggle as it allows the full output of the neck pickup when solo. With the STK-J2 you can can VERY close to a Precision sound when you solo the neck. The only drawback to the toggle is that in the middle position, the MM pickup somewhat dominates, so it is very similar to the MM solo. If you want, I can replace the toggle with a volume pot so you can blend as desired.

Bridge is a Gotoh 201. Strings are new Fender nickel-plated rounds.

The body has a contoured heel for more comfortable playing high on the neck. It's somewhat hard to photograph.

This bass weighs a mere 8 pounds and balances like a dream. :bassist:

Price? $795 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states. Like I said, I'm losing money on this deal. This is considerably lower than I will be pricing the Evokes when I announce them formally. This is a sweet bass that deserves to be played and loved.

IMG_3933.gif

IMG_3937.gif

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3939.gif

IMG_3945.gif

IMG_3946.gif

IMG_3956.gif

IMG_3961.gif

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the MM pickup coil split-able?

3. Yes indeed.

4. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    This sure is perty! I like the tru oil idea... Same as used on gun stocks isn't it?

I can wait until you start making reliced 5 string Js out of USACG parts!! (Hint, hint... Come on, do some 5s!):)

5. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Dan, your new logo looks good! Nice job on the bass.

6. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Nice work. Would love to see it in a 5'er. Excellent photography. Do you do your own photo's (just curious). Thanks

7. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    damn Dan thats a nice bass. Still waiting on the other evokes. any idea as to when they come out?

8. Any day now. I'm just waiting on the body for "model #3". It's the one with Chi-sonic pickups.

9. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I'll be waiting, mega pumped, for #3 in specific. btw I like what you did with the headstock and logo. looks great.

10. So are all the features on this bass the standard features for the model or are there some upgrades from your so called "stocked" versions?

11. It's stock, except for the added J pickup. To be honest, I actually added it more for personal aesthetic reasons. A single pickup down by the bridge just looks weird to me. :p

12. Someone asked if the neck has graphite reinforcement. Yes it does.

13. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    I love the new headstock and logo! Definitely, an improvement.

14. JRN

JRN Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2010
    CO 80443
    This is a very attractive bass, nice! I can see owning and playing that! But no money honey.

15. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    Im assuming the fretless neck isn't standard

16. You can choose fretless or fretted, no change in price.

17. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    Im glad this ones a fretless or I would have a hard time looking the other way

18. Dan, I love you (in the way you made this amazing creation)

19. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    That's a beauty. Looks great, logo too.

shawn

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.