1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Customized BC Rich Mockingbird Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by johnk_10, Oct 5, 2010.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    SOLD!!!!
    i'm selling one of my two customized mockingbirds. this is the transparent bleack one with chrome hardware (no longer made). I designed the Mockingbird back in December of 1975 for Bernardo Rico (BC RICH). When I drew out the body design, the deal was that he was supposed to make only ONE of them (for me), but we all know how that goes :rolleyes:

The original prototype was all maple with two rosewood stringers. It had dual Hi-A (aka Bartolini) humbucking pickups and the prototype of the Leo Quan Bad Ass bridge. While it was a great bass, I always wished that I was more involved in the actual building process since due to the radical body shape it became very evident that they were susceptible to neck dive issues. So, after 35 years, I decided to solve those issues.

I actually like the pickups and preamp more than the original's, but the neck dive issues still remain, and the back of the body had no 'belly cut' to make it more comfortable. Those are the first two modifications that I performed on it. First, I relocated & extended the horn's strap button from the rear to the outermost part of the horn, and fabricated a steel spacer to extend it another 1/2". This helped balance it almost perfectly. I machined a much larger, longer & stronger strap mounting screw so that it would handle the load. Next, I replaced the stock machine heads (tuners) with Hipshot Ultralites (these are $130 heads). This shaved almost 3 ounces off of the headstock, and made it balance perfectly. I went with the large 'clover leaf' version since the original prototype had large Grover Titans (very heavy) and I wanted to give it a 'vintage look". The final mod for comfort was done by cutting a deep 'belly cut' on the back of the bass, so it is much more comfortable to play, either standing up with a strap, or sitting down. The area was then finished in transparent black to match the rest of the body's finish.

I never like the newer headstock's logo, and always loved the look of vintage original USA BC Rich ones, so I planed this one's headstock face .065" and laminated a .065" thick Indian rosewood overlay on it. I then cut a genuine mother of pearl 'R' inlay for it by hand, just like the originals had, and inlaid it on the top of the headstock. 12 coats of nitro lacquer were applied and then buffed to a high gloss.

I replaced the black plastic nut with one that I made from genuine bone, and to top it off, made a new single screw brass truss rod cover, signed it and sealed it with two coats of lacquer.

The neck has been adjusted perfectly straight, the frets leveled, recrowned and polished, and the action is nice and low. This bass will be packed extremely well and includes a heavy-duty padded gig bag. Please scroll down to see the pictures of it, and thanks for looking! asking $850.00 +actual fedex shipping.

here's the pics:

blackmock-01.jpg

blackmock-02.jpg

blackmock-03.jpg

blackmock-05.jpg

blackmock-10.jpg

blackmock-12.jpg

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    This is awesome, and a great price.

3. funkbassplayer

funkbassplayer Inactive

Oct 5, 2008
    Funkytown, USA
    Hi John

Does the neck feel more like a P Bass or Jazz Bass?

beautiful bass
    thanks,
    C

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Whoo, John, it's cool to learn of your design involvement there, and this customized one is beautiful!

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks guys! yeah, i'm keeping a trans red one with the same mods for myself (i don't really need two of them).

the neck is pretty even from the nut all the way up to the high registers (not alot of taper like a jazz bass). i would say it's more like a ric but a little chunkier. it's really comfy to play and the acton is like buttah.
    BTW, the bass weighs 9lbs 3 oz so it's not all that heavy (like the prototype was)

6. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    is that why the new,"heritage" series looks like it does?
    to commemorate the original batch?
    great job with the headstock..!

i LOVE the mockingbird!
    ..the most "rock n roll" body shape ever!
    n:ANd9GcRSQRU_yayHqHpsuECrc8B3eN4E36Fb8LlARGsndfnzsjfYbrY&t=1&usg=__GFB6-AKlIsXnELtjJoot_WJfhIw=.jpg

btw, moving the strap button and the ultralite tuners,
    why didn't I think of that before I sold mine?

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    SOLD on ebay for $899 + shipping.

8. scuoco

scuoco

Jun 3, 2009
    Boston
    I'm intrigued by the BC Rich Bernardo Bass. There is one on ebay right now (in south Korea, no thanks) but i've never heard of these and can't even find a picture or any info at all. I've alway dug the earlier bc rich usa craftsmanship. Anybody know anything about these basses? any pics? for sale? thnx!

9. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    As usual, beautiful craftsmanship.
    Is the R painstakingly cut by hand?

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. it was beotch.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Wow, I wish I knew this was for sale!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021