1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: dbx 160X Compressor/Limiter - Exc. Cond.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by jondiener, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondiener

jondiener In the corner, staring at phone during break. Gold Supporting Member

SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Here is a nice dbx 160X Compressor/Limiter for your consideration. I don't know the exact age of the unit, but I purchased it pre-owned around 2003. I used it briefly in a video studio, then it went into a closet for a few years. For about the last year, I've had it in my bass rack, used mostly in a smoke-free home practice space, as well as a couple wedding gigs. This is in excellent cosmetic and functional condition - all knobs are original and intact, very minor rack wear, no issues that I am aware of.

Chances are, if you're looking at this post, you know all about the stature of this unit as an industry-standard compressor/limiter. So I won't go into the specifics. But feel free to contact me with any questions.

I am looking for $250 + shipping - PayPal or money order preferred - CONUS buyers & shipping only, please.

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i know this sounds stupid but could you hold that until next thursday or friday, thats when i get paid, hahaha

im dead serious though if you want to ;)

3. jondiener

I'd rather not take it off the market for a week, without any deposit or previous deal experiences. :meh:

Who knows? Maybe it'll still be here when you get paid.

4. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    its just wonderful to look at haha, i be waitin if it doesnt sell, which it will :crying:

to whoever gets this, your'e one lucky sob to get it that cheap! good luck

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ah, grasshopper (pd1134). Glad to see you listened to us in the other forum. :p

This is indeed a great price, but if it sells there will be others popping up around this price range. Repeat to yourself:

"Must check TB classifieds every day. Must check TB classifieds every day."

Then go out and get a second job to cover all the things you're about to buy. :D

6. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i am twenty now, i should get a second job right? hahaha

7. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    My mantra is slightly different:
    "Must check TB classifieds multiple times every day. Must check TB classifieds multiple times every day."
    :D :D :D

8. jondiener

HaHa! TB Classifieds (Accessories) is my browser's start page! How sad is THAT?

9. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tried that, ended up having to sell my body to cover my spending. And at 10 cents a pop, that took a long time.

:D

10. jondiener

ROTFLMAO!!

10 cents, huh? That much?

:bag:

11. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Would have been 5, but hey, togas aren't cheap!

Needed to stand out from the competition, ya know.

12. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks just like my 160A. Whats the diff?

13. jondiener

This one says 160X. :smug:

Seriously though, I think the 160X is an older version, basically. The 160A has XLRs & TRS jacks while the 160X has 1/4" and a terminal strip.

Buttons are slightly different, and the 160A has a stereo strapping jack

A search of dbx website shows no trace of a 160x.

HTH,

14. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Many gearheads on forums such as recording.org or gerslutz swear by the 160X as opposed to the 160A. Me, i can't tell the difference between the two. YMMV.

Surprised this is still here, it's a great price.

15. jondiener

Oops! My bad. This 160X ALSO has a strapping jack, I just forgot about it since I never used it.

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Aside from the in/output connectors, the differences are that the X and A were made in different countries, and the X was assembled by human workers using "old-fashioned" components, while the A was assembled by robots using SMD micro components. The circuits are exactly the same design in terms of parts values and schematic. So the audible part of that equation lies in the tonal qualities of specific components. Also some X's were shipped with an output transformer, or had an output xformer installed later; while others have no output xformer. You can tell by popping the lid and looking to see if there's an empty 2" square on the circuitboard, with unused solder pad/holes, labeled "transformer".

17. Blah... blah... blah... I'm bongo and I know anything and everything about any and every compressor that ever was and will be, ever. Pffft.......................................................;) j/k, well actually, I'm not. If you look past the sarcasm in that statement you just might spot the envy.

18. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've tried a bunch of compressors, and my 160A is by far the best, I use it all the time in the effects loop of my SM-900. So, if you're looking at this needing a compressor, I would say do not hesitate.

19. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey pd, you're a few days closer to it being available when you get the $$$... :D

20. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i have looked here three times a day everyday, i really hope i can get this, but yeah so from what ive read, there is no "big" difference between this model and the 160a?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.