Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS - Demeter HBP-1 GREAT TUBE PREAMP....

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by tommixx, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Alright guys here is bit of a rarity these days.......

I have for sale a Demeter HBP-1 Tube Preamp (Serial Number 5282) in excellent shape, gigged about about 8-10 times but primarily been used in the studio, slight rack rash but no biggie if you are going to rack it anyway. This pre is as tubey as you want it to be....great HI FI tone...to warm "Tube O Love" thing.....GREAT DI as well as a tuner out, balanced/unbalanced outs, parametric EQ... Etc see the specs below...a LOT more versatile to me than the 201S and sounds better in my opinion.....I have had it recently shopped and completely gone through and the mute switch no longer pops when you engage it...Everything factory fresh and ready to roll......

HBP-1 Bass Preamp Specs:

The new H-Series Bass Preamp by James Demeter uses the same all tube front end found in his classic VTBP-201 Bass pre-amplifier and combines it with the revolutionary H-Series circuitry found in his professional audio H-Series line. This pre-amp provides the best of both the tube and solid state world. It features high voltage (250V) tube front end (providing all of the pre-amp gain and passive tone controls), a two band solid state fully Parametric Equalizer that is tuned for, bass, a fully adjustable active effects loop with controls up front, a tuner output, a full balanced output with switchable mic or line level, both a balanced TRS line level output and an unbalanced line level output for amplifier connections and a mute switch. As with all Demeter equipment it is meticulously hand wired, using the finest components and assembled in the USA.

Specifications:

* Input Impedance >1 megohm
    * Min. Load Impedance 600 ohms
    * Maximum Output +28DBV
    * Power Supply 250V Fully Regulated Tube +18 -18 Fully Regulated Transistor
    * 12.6V Fully Regulated Filament
    * Signal to Noise Ratio -80dB
    * THD .5%
    * Frequency Response 10Hz to 40kHz
    * Tube 12ax7a
    * EQ Gain + or - 15 dB

Controls

* Q or Width Continuously Variable Low 40Hz to 440Hz
    * Gain Adjustable to + 10dB Mid 440Hz to 4KHz
    * Max Output @600ohms +24dB Outputs 3 Pin Bal Mic/Line
    * Tube 1-12AX7a Selected
    * 1 1/4 TRS Bal Line
    * 1 1/4 Unbal Line Chassis
    * 1 1/4 Tuner
    * Power 115V/230V Switchable
    * Chassis Single Space Rack

more info and a pic here - http://www.demeteramps.com/ - click on products - HBP-1

Price is 600.00 USD Money order or Certified/Cashier's Check and will be properly packed, insured and shipped anywhere in the Lower 48.

I will ship this unit in the original box with the original Groove Tubes 12AX7 and a NOS German made Sylvania 12AX7 that I got from Tom Dowd himself...thus the slightly higher price...these units usually go for about 500.00 to 550.00 give or take but I figure this tube is worth AT LEAST 50.00 or more!!!

I am NOT interested in trades at this time as I am trying to thin the flock as it were. I have a Thunderfunk amp on its way along with an Accugroove Cab and I just ordered a Retro Metro Ultra Vintage 5 from Kevin at Sadowsky today so I need the cash to pay for all this stuff....I am about to go out on a tour in a couple of months and won't need the things that I am listing....

BTW - Everybody ALWAYS wants to know the reason for selling.....I have a U5, a Demeter HD1 Tube DI, a Thunderfunk TFB550 (on the way from Dave), an SSL Xlogic Channel, a pair of Neve 1073's, an API 6 pack, numerous other amps, etc.etc.etc....you get the point...TOO much gear....the Demeter is one of the newer units and is just kind of repetetive to a couple of pieces that I already have...my loss someone else's gain....paid about 835.00 with shipping from Bass Central last June.......let me know here or PM me if interested - I don't think this one will last long!

Sorry no pics because my camera died at my daughters Birthday party on March 11 and I have not had the chance to have it checked out!!

I am separately listing a Bergantino Mini Stack of an HT 112 and an EX112 also in perfect shape that I got at the same time I got this pre if anyone who sees this is interested....

Thanks For Looking!!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

2. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    PM sent

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey tommy,

if its still available, how about a trade? got a nice Demeter VTBP just sittin' all its lonesome. same with an Alembic F-1X.

4. Joker...have had the 201 and the Alembic....both are great in their own respect, BUT I GOTTA lighten the load....I have too much and am trying to make some room for the impending arrival of more stuff.... Sorry, but no trades for now.....I probably will list some more stuff in the next few days but I don't like to have too many sticks in the fire at 1 time....Just got my Streamer Stage 2 delivered to the buyer yesterday so it is time to list some more....

Peace,

T

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok...here's a free bump.

Sombody buy this preamp...you will not be sorry. A few months back I went on a search for a new preamp for my "live" rig (I have a pretty good collection of tube mic pres fro studio work, but don't take them out on gigs...isn't a Manley or UA overkill ata club?) I tried a lot..bought quite a few which I ended selling....
    ...then came upon this Demeter HBP. I fell head over heels with the tone and versatility. It is my #1 preamp (even over the Avalon or UA).

Excellent item and a really good price (btw...that Sylvannia tube is worth the the fifty bucks!). I won't try to say it outblasts the Kern, Alembic, Read....or even the 201......each of these is unique and in a rarefied class unto themselves. Include the HBP up there with the finest.

Max

6. Thanks MAX...

The HBP-1 is my "road ready" number one preamp for beatin and bangin in a road case....As you can tell from my listing above, I, like you have a LOT of pres (didn't list them all) but I am a bit hesitant to take them out of the studio and thus the reason I used this one as my "road pre"!! Very robust and very sweet throgh a good amp and speaker setup....I actually prefer the "Live" sound of this pre over any other one I have used, including the Avalon....I like the Avalon for its "cleanliness" and accuracy, but it just doesn't give you that fat, "tube o love thing" that the Demeter does.....I hope this goes to a good home.....

Thanks for the bump...

Peace,

T

7. SOLD, Thanks for Looking!!!

Peace,

T

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dangit!! By the time I am ready to buy one of these, there will be none for sale.

-Mike

9. Mike,

If the deal falls through I will PM you if you like....I wasn't joking...I knew it would be gone in 24 hours or so, they always do!!!!!

Peace,

T