1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Demeter VTBP-201 Blackface/1.5 RU

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by kerryg, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    You all know the one. This particular unit has two Jensens (one on the +4 and one on the -20 out) instead of the apparently more common single one. Good condition. Lower 48 or Canada - $450 shipped. No trades, thanks.

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    sweet. Free bump for another variation on a classic pre.

3. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    Sunday bump...

4. Pic?...all black knobs? or black + grey knobs?:bassist:

5. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    Looks like all black. Sorry for the glare, it's an iPhone photo.

Attached Files:

6. really?....they look like black/grey knobs from pic

7. maybe shadows from pic?

8. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    I'm beginning to get confused. Is there some difference between models, denoted by the color of the sides of the knobs, that I'm not aware of?

If someone asked me if my Demeter, the one you see in the pic, has black and grey knobs, I'd have said "no, it has black knobs" (as distinct from, say, three blue and two green). Are you asking whether each knob itself is both black and grey? If so then yes, the face of each knob is black and its sides are grey. If you click the thumbnail the resulting pic is fairly big and you should be able to see the knobs fairly well.

9. lslimcuttah

lslimcuttah

May 14, 2007
    louisville,ky
    yes the grey one is all tube and the black is wired like a solid state

10. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    No sir you are incorrect. All of the old 1.5 rack pres were tube. I beileve you are referring to the newer single space models.

11. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    No, this is a Demeter tube bass preamp, beyond any shadow of a doubt. The words "Tube Bass Preamp" silk screened on the face plate in the photo would be the first giveaway. :D

12. Yes!...as do the new ones say "Tube Bass" as well.

There has been about 3 "versions" of the black face (if you google it, then choose pictures you will see what im talking about)

1.Black/grey knob with toggle switches and "old style" name screening on the front (Tube Bass in big letters and Demeter in small letters also written with "innovated audio systems")

2.Black/grey knob with black plastic switches and "newer style" name screening on the front (just like yours)

3.All black knobs with plastic switches and "newer style" writing.

Im still trying to research the differences (if any) in build quality/sound etc.

You were saying yours has 2 xlr jensens on back? Could one be aftermarket?

13. ??

From Demeter's website

The classic VTBP-201 by James Demeter is now reborn in this new single space rack chassis. All of
    the sound and controls of the classic have been retained and some new features have been added. The
    VTBP-201S bass preamplifier continues the sonic excellence of its predecessor. It features a high voltage
    (270V fully regulated), all tube design providing all of the tube preamplifier gain and output drivers,
    classic passive tone controls, and a balanced microphone level Jensen transformer output for recording
    or house PA. Two unbalanced line level outputs for amplifier connections and a mute switch. As with all
    Demeter equipment, it is meticulously hand wired using the finest components and assembled in the
    U.S.A.

14. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    I don't know of any significant difference between the differently silkscreened versions. I'm pretty sure the twin Jensens are original.

15. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Whatever the small differences are, i've personally played through this preamp, and if it sounded any better, you'd need a towel and a cigarette afterwards....:D ...know what I mean?

Free 'can't believe yer sellin' it!' BUMP!

16. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    showing Jensen transformer outs. The one on the right says "-20 Mic Level Out".

Attached Files:

17. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    Just to avoid anybody getting confused - this description is not of the Demeter I am selling, which is, as advertised, a VTBP-201 rather than a VTBP-201s (the single rack-space unit version). It might incidentally give you useful information (for example, yes, as implied the VTBP-201 was also meticulously hand wired etc) but it's a description of the VTBP-201s.

18. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I've had three of these preamps (four, come to think of it). They are fully tube -- no solid state. You're probably thinking of the solid-state parametric equalizer section of the single-space, black-faced HBP-1H. That's a different preamp, also made by Demeter. It also has the 201's tube front end and passive tone controls.

Greg

19. yes I should have clarified that

20. pm sent regarding payment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.