1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: DiMarzio Model J pickup set

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by craigb, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I bought these new a month or so ago, tried them in a bass, swapped them back out and am now without any J-type basses so these aren't going to get used. Good pickups that really cut through a dense mix.

$65 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK

DiMarzio's description:

DiMarzio Model J™ pickups reproduce the warmth and roundness of the traditional Fender® Jazz Bass® sound with increased power and hum-cancellation. The additional power translates into a bigger sound that emphasizes the resonant character of the instrument. The DiMarzio Model J™ pickup’s sensitivity and deep tone are also the perfect complement to fretless basses. Double-stop glissandos and delicate violin-style vibrato speak with a classic, woody voice simply by backing off slightly on the tone control. For an even more varied choice of tones, pair a bridge position DiMarzio Model J™ with a DiMarzio Model P® pickup. The warm, fat tone of the DiMarzio Model P® plus the tight punch of the DiMarzio Model J™ open up the sound of any bass.

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Hey man, by any chance do you know how these compare to a set of Lindy Fralins? I've got a 1969 vintage jazz bass that the original pickups evidently rotted out of (it's currently got some SD quarter-pounders in there that... don't do it for me), and I'm torn between getting DiMarzios or Fralins. I've got DiMarzios in my '75 jazz with a J-Retro preamp that I absolutely freakin' LOVE, but I want to keep the '69 passive (so that means no j-retro). Any thoughts? :D

--Lee

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Cream or black? :eyebrow:

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Lee - sorry, no idea on how the compare to Fralins. I've tended to always shy away from J-style basses so I have very little experience with the various types of pickups. The definitely have more bass and less top end than the OEM single coils in the JB-2. They had more output as well which was nice as I kept it passive (and the MFDs in my other G&Ls put out a lot more signal than the OEM J pickups in the JB-2).

Vegas532 - black covers, they are the standard pair with the bridge pickup a little wider than the neck pickup.

5. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
    sent pm

6. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    pm sent

7. craigb