1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Dingwall Combustion $975

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Schizoid75, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Just got this bass a couple of weeks ago from Freddy G here on TB. See original thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/dingwall-combustion-755494/

Love the bass, but my whole point in buying it was simply to try out the fanned frets and see how they agree with me. They agree very well, so my next custom build will include them. I'm just a picky SOB, so I can't find an existing bass that ticks all the boxes for me.

This is a great bass, though. The construction is solid, the attention to detail is very high. You'd never guess this is the first rung on the Dingwall ladder. The low-B is truly awesome. Those extra inches work.

So, I bought it for $975 and that's what I'm looking to get. Freddy G installed Dunlop straplocks and they work perfectly. Does not come with the attachments for the strap, just the installed parts on the bass. Also comes with a very nice Dingwall gigbag.

Not interested in trades as this money will go to start my custom build. Includes shipping in the continental US. Also not interested in leaving the US at this point.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    One more for good measure

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    hey man,

where are these manufactured?

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I believe they are manufactured in China with final setup and inspection done back at the Dingwall factory in Canada.

5. Sheldon himself signs off on every guitar that leaves the shop.

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Oh, I didn' t know these basses are manufactured in China. Hmm, good to know.

Fred

7. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, there's a little "inspected by" sticker on the rear of the headstock with two pairs of initials. One pair is "SD."

8. The Basstard

The Basstard Puttin' the "ass" in "Basstard". Supporting Member

Combustion basses are assembled in China using materials from the US and Canada and they do go through final inspection/set up at the Canadian shop.

From what I've seen/read/heard, Sheldon Dingwall is quite meticulous. He recently went to the factory in China. I'm sure that the quality control is strictly maintained. Sheldon wouldn't have it any other way.

I own a Combustion and it's a solid, well made, great sounding bass.

9. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    By the way, only the woodwork is made in China. The pickups are made in Canada like the other Dingwall pickups, the preamp is an USA EMG preamp, Hipshot hardware etc.

I would have snatched this already if it were a matte black..

10. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    you're killing me with this one. if only i had the coin, i'd be all over it!

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just to clarify: the tuners are Ping, not Hipshot, but still a really nice product.

Riis

12. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    True, my mistake. Only the bridge components are Hipshot.

13. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    To the top!

14. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    No trades at all? I keep telling myself I'm not a 5 string guy anymore but I am so very intrigued by the fanned frets.

15. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Nope, I know what I want and it's got to be custom. Unless you have a headless fanned fret 5-string with 16.5mm spacing and weighing under 8lbs?

16. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    For those unsure of the fanned frets, I will echo what countless others have said on the subject: You'll be fairly comfortable in no time. Chords can be tricky, especially higher on the neck. But for 99% of the playing I do--dance, country, rock, pop, etc--it's not that different. I've had 34" scale basses with bad ergonomics that were harder to play than this bass.

17. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    Haha, if I had that I wouldn't be getting of it.

We shall see what happens with my current gas attack.

18. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    No love for the Combustion, huh? Oh, well. Bump!

19. PatO

PatO

May 21, 2006
    Colchester VT
    Lots of love for the dingwalls, unfortunately just no money. When my cirrus sells I'm either buying this or a modulus vj4, we'll see which is still available.

Bump for a good looking combustion.

20. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    You read my mind! Have you considered the nut and bridge system that an NS/Stick has?

bridgeanglethumb.jpg

damperoffthumb2.jpg

www.stick.com - Instruments and Tunings

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.