1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Early 90s Tobias Standard 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by R3ality, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    SOLD!

Tobias Standard 5-String lined fretless bass guitar. Solid ash body wings with a 5-ply maple neck with bubinga stringers and a pau ferro fretboard. Gorgeous red translucent finish. Bartolini soapbar pick-ups and active electronics with master volume, pick-up blend, and stacked bass and treble controls. On-board Bartolini TCT pre-amp with mid-range boost/cut knob (internal). Bass is one of 400 that was pre-fabricated in Japan's famed Nagoya plant and assembled/set-up by Michael Tobias and his crew in Burbank, CA. The bass is in great condition and has basic playing wear to be expected on an 18 year old bass. The main wear is black paint coming off of the bridge (as you will see in the pictures.

Serial # 204020, made between 1990-1992, and headstock says. "Fabricated in Japan to standards set by Tobias Guitars. Assembly & Q.A. at Tobias Guitars, Burbank, Ca., USA"

I'm selling it because I no longer play fretless. I bought it from the original owner about nine years ago, but I haven't played it in almost 5 years myself. It's a joy to play, has killer fretless tone, one of the best B-strings I've ever felt... I wish I had a need for a fretless. This bass needs to be played! :)

3456377259_1f84e1c5fe.

High quality pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r3ality/sets/72157616966951907/

Some stats:
    34" scale
    1.75" at nut
    3/4" string spacing at bridge

Asking price is $900, includes shipping to the lower 48, very nice ZON gig bag (red plush interior looks hot with the Tobias ;)), Schaller strap-locks, 4" wide leather strap.

PayPal preferred. Bass is in Mpls/St. Paul, MN.

:bassist:

2. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    Bump for today

3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this 34" or 35" scale?

Thanks!
    J.

4. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    Oh heck, good question. I *think* it's a 34", but I'll check tomorrow and post confirmation.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks. If I could bother you for string spacing as well, that'd be much appreciated. Internet research tells me the bridge is adjustable, but I'm trying to get an idea of the range, or even a qualitative 'narrow vs. wide.'

Thanks again!
    J.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a six string just like this... GREAT BASS!! Free BUMP

7. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    I added answers to your questions above, but it's a 34" scale, 1.75" at the nut, and 3/4" string spacing at the bridge. The bridge can adjust height and intonation/length but not width.

8. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for adding all that info.

So...let's see...scale length...string spacing...there must be something I'm forgetting...

Oh, right, ask the wife!

Wish me luck....

J.

9. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    I know that step all too well. Good luck! :bag:

10. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Good news, of a sort. I can move forward with this bass if I sell my ATK 305...something to do with maintaining a consistent number of basses in the house else we risk ripping a hole in the fabric of time and space.

Or, you know, I get relegated to the couch, which is a space with a ripped hole in the fabric on which I'd rather not spend all my time.

Furthermore, I have had a solid offer on said bass! I am now in that dreaded holding pattern of waiting for confirmation.

Stay tuned and cross your fingers.

Thanks,
    J.

11. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    Hey, I'm in no rush and you're in the lead. I'll let you know if any other solid offers come in and give you first right of refusal. :) Trust me, I understand having to keep your other half happy. Best of luck selling the ATK!

12. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Dropped my asking prices on everything I'm selling...hopefully that'll get some things moving and I can wrap this up.

13. R3ality

R3ality

Mar 26, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    On hold - pending payment! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.