1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS - EBMM Music Man Stingray 5 Fretless HP Unlined - 2003

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FromTheBassMent, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    When I went through divorce 6 years ago, I had to liquidate my bass collection (F Bass, Turner Renaissance, Lakland 55-92, etc.). I had to select one fretted and one fretless bass to gig with. This is the fretless I chose... a 2003 EBMM blank plank Stingray 5 with the piezo bridge.

This bass was purchased at New Jersey Guitar & Bass Center, and had one previous owner who didn't play it much if at all (protective film was still on the pickguard, and the bar code sticker was still on the back). This bass has been gently used and shows few signs of being played. She did take one tumble off of a guitar stand, and suffered a couple of dings on the back. I sent the body off to Marty Bell and had him fill and polish the finish back to a high gloss. You can still see where the dings were, but the gloss coat is smooth and even, so no worries about chipping or cracking going forward (yes, I am anal). You can see the only ding I was able to photograph in the last picture. Other than those tiny repairs on the back she is absolutely clean. The only mod I've made is to install EBMM fanboy strap locks (your gift with purchase).

Weight appears to be around 11 lbs based on what I can read on my bathroom scale. This is not one of the lighter Stingrays. I've used a WIDE suede strap, and have never suffered any discomfort. And I'm 51... you youngsters should have no problems at all!

This bass would be around $2300 street new with the painted headstock and piezo option. Of course, you couldn't get the white pup cover, cuz EBMM doesn't offer that anymore. The piezo option is nice (especially with the new set of DA Chromes currently on it)... careful tweaking of the EQ and a bit of techinque can get you a reasonably good ersatz upright sound. Of course, if you crank the mids you get mwah for days. If you really want to head to Mwah City, put some DR Sunbeams on it.

I'm selling because my son is off to college and he needs some wheels and I'm broke. I've got some money set aside for him, but I need a bit more so I'll be confident that he won't break down in L.A. when he's trying to drive home to see his mama.

$1400 gets it delivered to your door in the original EBMM hard case, shipped in an authentic EBMM box.

I recognize that I don't have a lot of sales history here (I only own two basses, and this is one of them). But I have a very solid history on eBay... my user ID there is kenpanman59, so feel free to check out my feedback.

I need to get this done pretty quick... my boy graduates at the end of the month.

Sorry, NO TRADES. I need the coin. And yes, I do take PayPal.

IMG_3390.

IMG_3380.

IMG_3382.

IMG_3392.

IMG_3381.

IMG_3393.

IMG_3389.

IMG_3385.

IMG_3388.

2. Wow. Been looking for one of these! That looks nice!

3. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    It's a sweet bass... and that's coming from 35 years of playing just about everything. It's gonna kill me to give her up. But I have to look after my boy... and there will be other basses someday!

4. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Looks like a gem. I've sort of been sold on seeking out a fretless Stingray HH 5 but something like this provides some heavy temptation. I've really only played a fretless H 4 but that was enough to sell me on the whole fretless Stingray concept.

Tried a piezo Bongo fretted once but still don't have a good idea about how a MusicMan piezo system affects the tone in a bass.

It's mainly been having a fretted Stingray HH 5 for a few months which has really sold me on the HH tone.

I'm rather certain ANY fretless Stingray is going to please me but I think without actually playing them in person I'll have to stick with my instinct to go with a fretless HH.

I have no doubt this is a killer axe though.

If you can say anything more about the piezo system concerning tone that would still be very cool.

5. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The bass I'm keeping and using as my main gigging bass is a Sterling 5 HH. I never solo the neck pup, and I know I would not ever solo it on the fretless if it had one. The qualities I want from a fretless (that singing "mwah" tone) are achieved by emphasizing the higher harmonics that are captured by the bridge pup, and even moreso by the piezo bridge.

The piezo system picks up the pure sound of the string, and your fingers on the strings. For my taste, I dial back the high end a bit when soloing the piezo to avoid any clackines. The piezo gives you a more acoustic tone, and you lose the character or color of the classic Stingray humbucker tone. Blending the two can give you some pretty subtle sounds. In live performance I have found that the subtlety is no particularly effective... I would typically run either all humbucker or all piezo. I'd use the piezo on acoustic ballads or some of our more bluegrass-leaning tunes. In combination with a more double-bass hand technique ("grabbing" the neck with my left hand and choking the sustain, and angling my right hand as though I were plucking an upright) I have been able to get something approaching an upright bass tone... although it's really not the same (the 'Ray is always going to be more sustaining and richer in upper harmonics than an upright... no way to dial that out, really).

The piezo is killer at picking up harmonics, so if you like to do pure or false harmonics (a la Jaco) blending in some piezo really makes them sing.

I don't know if this is helpful at all. Talking about musical tone is like dancing about architecture... there's a fundamental disconnect there that's hard to overcome!

6. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Hey thanks for attempting to describe this bass's piezo system!

At NAMM this year I played as many different types of basses MM made but they really don't have the full spectrum available to sample. But WAY more than most music stores have in stock.
    That's how I have the experience I do with their instruments.

But anything I can get from those who have good experience playing their stuff helps. :D

I just wish I could really have some time trying out this bass you're selling! I don't doubt that I might actually want it really bad! :D

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Just so you guys know, you can't get a stingray in HH with a piezo option.

8. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Good point. You can get the HS with piezo though... I've actually seen one of those.

9. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I was under the impression you could only get the Stingray with one pickup and the piezo but not two. The Piezo Bongo I tried was an HHP but Bongo's are like a different animal. A very nice animal but a different one nonetheless.

It's news to me that you can get a Stingray in HSP. Those must be rare because I don't think they even had any at the MusicMan booth at NAMM this year. I'm guessing special custom order is the way to get one. I still have not tried any Stingrays with an S pickup so I'm not sure how the sound would compare to having a second H pickup.

It does sound to me as if the piezo system does help bring out the subtleties of the fretless. If I had too much money just sitting around I would buy this one. :D

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Only single H + piezo on the Stingrays.

11. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Yeah, now that I think about it the bass I saw that was HSP was a Bongo, not a 'Ray.

12. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I don't want anybody else
    When I think about you I *BUMP* myself....

13. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    Sorry if you stated this already but what kind of strings have you usually played it with? It appears to maybe have half rounds right now. I like how awesome fretless rays sound slapped only some actually seem to think slapping any fretless is somehow taboo!

14. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I have used DA Halfrounds, DR Sunbeams and DA Chromes on this bass. The Halfrounds were a bust. Sunbeams give you the most bloom (mwah). But right now I have Chromes on there, and I've been really happy with them. Cranking the mid and treble eq allows me to get all the bloom I need, but dialing these back lets met get a nearly upright sound.

15. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I like it better every time I look at it! And I'm a huge fan of the white pearloid pickguard. :D

16. AztecViking

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I just noticed you're in the Markbass club. Sterling Ball was playing through a CMD121p when he was demoing basses at NAMM this year. I got me the larger CMD121h as a companion to my Stingray 5HH. I'm SO happy with both. They compliment each other very well.

Just wondering what MB amp you have and how you like the sound you get from this bass with it.

17. Bump for reminding me of the best fretless slapping ever on Paul Simon's Graceland album.

18. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    It originally had a plain white pickguard, but I couldn't resist putting on the pearl one... so much classier!

I had this sold yesterday but it fell through... so she still could be yours! :bassist:

Oh, and I have the CMD121P plus a NY 151 extension cab. Sounds glorious.

19. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I don't want anybody else
    When I think about you I *BUMP* myself....

20. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    If you ever decide to sell this bass with the original PG, I would love to buy that pearl PG for my SR5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.