1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: EBMM SUB 5 (Stingray 5) 2 band Pre, OHSC, 2 Pickguards!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by madbassplaya, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Up for sale is a nice example of the Workinman's Stingray 5 Classic. :)

This is a wonderful bass, but it's not getting any playing time. This is made in the USA at SLO just like the other US made Music Man Basses and many people say that this is the poor man's classic Stingray. It has a great sound to it and plays well.

The bass does have some cosmetic wear however. The body has a couple of dings in the back, the neck has some nicks in the paint, and the headstock has some wear and scratches too. The bass has been played!

Overall all though it's still in really good shape. Comes with 2 pickguards and the OHSC as well.

Price: $535.00 shipped OBO! :)

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow. I took these real quick tonight.

2012-01-04_22-51-24_36.

2012-01-04_22-51-30_360.

2012-01-04_22-51-34_682.

2. How do these compare to the Sterling Ray35?

3. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    Plus the sub 5 has the look of the stingray classic not the 80s look of the sr5 with the huge pg. These are sexy great sounding and playing American made basses. Best deal out there IMHO.

4. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    How much does this one weigh?

5. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    These are really awesome basses and I'd pick one of these over a Ray35 any day of the week.
    If I didn't have my '89, I'd be all over this bad boy!

GLWTS, bruh! It's a sweet bass.

(maybe use the photobucket editor, though...)

2012-01-04_22-51-24_36.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, I've had both and no offense to Ray 35 owners as they are really good basses but this is a way better bass.

1. It's made in the USA, unlike the Ray35 which is crafted in Indonesia.
    2. The 2 band pre is dead quiet and sounds REALLY good. The Ray 35 that I had was noisy. It had a hiss to it and my sound guy at the church did not like when I tried to play it for worship.
    3. The neck on the SUB is identical to a standard Stingray 5. It feels great. The Ray 35 neck although it was nice, felt way bulkier/chunky.
    6. The Ray35 also weighed more.

The SUB was EBMM way of trying to make an affordable bass without going overseas. This bass still has that EBMM quality though. The Ray35 didn't...

Thanks! It's around 9 lbs or so.

Thanks man and yea, these things eat Ray 35's for breakfast!

I'm gonna get a couple of better pics today. I shot and uploaded those quick for last night. :D

7. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Damn if I didnt just buy a bass on here this week I'd be snaggin this. Haven't seen a SUB 5 in a long time.

I'd take a SUB over any other Musicman offering. Reason being, they are the same quality (IMHO) as an EBMM Stingray but lower price so you can beat it around worry free. And the matte finish on em is cooler to me than the glossy Stingrays. Someone's gonna be happy.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks man! This is a great bass, that's for sure!

I've been getting a lot of trade offers. Unless it's a 5er I'm probably not interested. :meh:

Thanks!

9. Cool bass! Don't see the fivers too often. Tempted...

10. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Played this one out a few times,and it is sweet!

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The neck was too wide for my smaller hands when I had one like this. But oh man did it sound and play like heaven. Great deal here.

12. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    You should be... This is one of the best Made in the USofA deals around! I've been playing MM basses since I bought a Sabre brand new in '79, and this is the lightest, easiest playing MM bass I've ever owned. You can have mine, if you can pry it from my cold dead hands.:ninja:

Mad, you must be mad... this baby is too sweet to let get away!

13. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I assume they have the same neck as a SR5? Been looking for a backup to my SR5. I'm pretty tempted.

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Man, you guys are making me reconsider this one some. :)

Still here for now.

15. thigmotaxic

thigmotaxic Banned

Feb 15, 2011
    Where are you located? I'd like to pickit up rather than have it shipped

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Russellville Arkansas. :)

17. Jamo2000

Jamo2000

Jun 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have an identical bass. It is the real deal. I record and gig with it. It nails the classic SR5 sound as well as many others, it's more versatile than a lot of people give SR's credit for. I've always (innaccurately) considered it the logical extension of the P-bass. It's a big bass, but I have big hands. I love it...although I recently played a Dingwall...oh no GAS attack!

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Tons of interest in this bad boy but nothing solid yet. I let the day get away from me without getting some new pics. Rest assured I will get some in the AM tomorrow if this baby isn't sold soon.

5 string USA made bass by the company that sets the standard for production instruments, IMO for only $535 including shipping, 2 pg, and the OHSC!

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Possible sale...

Awaiting response/paypal. :)

20. thigmotaxic

thigmotaxic Banned

Feb 15, 2011
    Arkansas? Crap, I'm in Cleveland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.