1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: EBMM Sub Black and clean in HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    For sale is an active Ernie Ball Musicman SUB 4 string bass in black finish. Made in the USA. Stingray shaped body but a slab body rather than the contoured body of current Stingray design. Also sports a black finished neck.

The bass is excellent good condition. The only issues is finish wear at the end of the headstock, from a gig bag zipper most likely. This seems to be common of the SUBs as the past few I have owned have all had some sort of headstock wear like this. Probably because of a thin neck finish. This can be touched up with black marker or touch paint and would look fine.

The body is perfect and overall the bass looks and feels brand new save for the "zipper rash" at the headstock.

This bass has an active 2 band EQ. It really captures that classic tone of a Stingray 2EQ. Most SUBs tend to be a lot more mellow than ‘Rays. This one is somewhere in between. Like the Rays, this model bass is easy and comfortable to play. Essentiall plays the same as a Ray.

The SUBs were Ernie Ball’s lower priced USA made instruments. They are basically budget version of the Stingray with the same hardware and electronics but slightly fewer features, poplar wood bodies and painted black necks. These are starting to increase in price as they were discontinued and replaced with an imported version of the Stingray. I have seen them fetch over $800 on ebay with OHSC.

I am asking $575 or best offer for the bass shipped to you in a very nice hard case to anywhere in the CONUS. International buyers ping me a note first to see about shipping costs as they will vary and can be considerable.

Pics below.

Thanks for looking and please PM if you are interested or have any further questions.

Thanks.

Picture001.
    Picture002.
    Picture003.
    Picture004.
    Picture005.
    Picture006.
    Picture007.
    Picture008.
    Picture009.
    Picture010.
    Picture011.
    Picture012.
    Picture013.
    Picture014.
    Picture015.
    Picture016.
    Picture017.

2. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Sale pending...

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Still available.

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    To the top! I "sold" this to an international TB-er that turned out to be a fraudster. I was able to recover the bass through the post office.

So back we go to the classifieds. Bess offers, trades, or cash/trade combos welcome.

Thanks.

RBM

5. Please do tell...

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Some punk kid from a posh neighborhood in London posted a fake FS classifieds post on a radio-controlled car enthusiast site. He found a buyer.

He then used a fake userid on this site and PM'ed that he wanted the bass. He said "Paypal coming to you now."

Then the money arrives in my paypal account with the subject "SUB."

I reply that I received funds. He replies "Good. Please ship to this address, and provides his UK address."

The following day after I ship, I reply to the email address that sent funds to provide the USPS customs/tracking number and the guy on the other end is like "***?"

Turns out he had the guy who "bought" his R/C car pay me, saying I was his brother in the US who he owed a "SUBstantial" amount of money, hence he duped an R/C car buyer into putting "SUB" in the paypal subject.

So I am out a bass and the money because the buyer has his bank reverse the wire to my PP account (PP payment was sent as a personal payment).

So I am livid. I do some serious sleuthing and find this little punk. I contact him. UK police are involved, his mom is in touch with me, and luckily, the post office, who usually cannot finds its proverbial arse wtih both hands, was able to retrieve my bass (I had to file a form 1509).

A few lessons learned here:

1) For international sales, do extra diligence and be weary of folks with no feedback.

2) If something doesn't feel right to you about the buyer (he is rude, he rubs you wrong, doesn't answer questions directly, etc.) it probably isn't.

3) Always communicate via the email address from which paypal funds are sent. WAIT until you are sure the payor is the buyer.

4) If at all possible, do not use the USPS. They offer an inferior service to UPS or Fedex. Their tracking system is a joke.

5) If something like this happens, contact the site administrator immediately. In my case, the mods and the admin were extremely helpful.

Now all that said, I have this beauty of a bass for sale and I am accepting best offers and interesting trades so hit me up please!

Thanks.

RBM

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump for a very cool, and very storied bass guitar! Best offers are welcome as are trade offers. Thanks.

8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Top. Offers?

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    To the top for best offers.

10. Man, if this were a 5 string, I would definitely hop on it. Beautiful bass though! I hope you find a legitimate buyer!

11. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    how is the neck? Fret buzz? I love SUBs but (imho) a lot of them have uber buzzy A and D strings.....

12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    No buzz to speak of. This one is a good player. I have had a few myself but every one that came to me buzzy was pretty easy to set up-- usually just a function of the neck bow and that easy access truss rod adjuster wheel makes it a piece of cake to tweak the neck.

You interested? If you have a fretless SUB to trade I would love that!

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Top for offers. Cash or trade. Worst I can say is no.

14. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    sorry to FL SUB..:(

as for the buzzing, I have owned 5 of them. 2 of them would not set up buzz free on the A and D no matter what I tried or 3 different techs could figure out..another one was touchy but doable, the other two were fine - one of which was incredible! It had the compensated nut and a late issue PG and was my workhorse for 250+ shows....loved heavy gauge strings and heavy workloads....

you are right about the easy tweakability of these basses...the EBMM style truss wheel should be standard practice.

Killer bass for the cash bump.

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Interesting. I have owned about as many as you. I did have one that was hard to set up but I got it set up. I had bought it used and it came to me in rough shape-- it was clearly neglected as the neck was bowed and the action and attonation all wrong. It clearly never got a set up and was in the hands of a kid or someone who just didn't know how to take care of the instrument.

My trick in that situation and those similar-- loosen the strings, tweak the rod slightly to backbow, and leave the bass leaning forward in a gig bag bearing weight on the headstock and upper part of the neck. Sounds hokey but you are releasing and very slightly reversing the tension that bowed the neck.

After a few days, I was able to tweak her just fine. I have brought some pretty bad basses back to life this way...

16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Price drop to $525 obo shipped CONUS in the hard case. Thanks.

17. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Anyone know how I can edit the initial post to feature this price drop? I cannot seem to edit, nor can I delete this post to start a new one. Thanks.

18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    +1 I should say that I am obnoxious about fret buzz as well as even buzz you can't hear through an amp bugs me (stupid I know)....

another bump for a bang for buck killa SUB!

19. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks for the bump. Any chance you can help me with my technical question above?

Thanks!

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Never realized they didn't countersink the pick guard screws; guess it saves a buck.
    How much does it weigh, and would this bass be anywhere similar to my 1983 Ray (specificaly neck shape and overall voice)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.