1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS Electra 70's Jazz Bass "Darkstars" and Bound Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    For sale is a 70's Electra Jazz Bass made in the legendary Matsumoku factory in Japan.

This has a REAL bound neck with REAL block inlays and vintage "darkstar": style pickups.

This bass is an amazing player. Great tone and great looks. Even the "Electra" logo is done in a colorful faux mother of pearl. Excellent craftsmanship all around.

Asking $250.

Just a couple of issues.

-There is a slight wiring problem with the neck volume pot

-This was a refin. not bad but not quite professional. You can see in the pics where is hs "uneven" coloraiton on the back side. Hardly noticeable and overall this is a great color -- pearloid blue.

I think this had "ashtray" pickup covers at one point based on the screwholes near the pickups.

So take this as a refin bass or as a refin project. But a great bass and a great value.

Picture011.
    Picture012.
    Picture013.
    Picture014.
    Picture015.
    Picture016.
    Picture017.
    Picture018.
    Picture019.
    Picture020.
    Picture021.
    Picture022.

2. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Sunday morning BUMP!

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

While this looks like a fiunny bass, I don't like your description of the pickups.
    They have nothing common with Darkstars other than the metal shell.
    This is a bit misleading.

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey pal, the use of quotations (i.e. "Darkstars") should be your indicator that I am describing these as being merely in the aesthetic vein of Darkstars.

In fact, aren't Darkstars made to resmble these authentic older style metal pickups?

Anyway, thanks for the free bump.

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    What a funky cool bass.

6. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Looks pretty sweet, wish i could give her a listen, must sound dope with those pickups.

7. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Dark Stars are based on the old Hagstrom bi-sonic pickups.

The bass looks cool. Best of luck with the sale.

8. Yeah nice looking bass but those pickups do not even look like they are "in the style" of a Darkstar (as you can see from the photo above).

They look like standard mini humbucker pickups.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll admit, I looked because of the "Dark Star" description and was disappointed when I looked at the pictures. Though you may not have intended it that way, it seems fairly deceptive. Had people not mentioned the issue, someone who had merely heard the name "Dark Star" and heard they were good might have snatched this up, paid you, only to find out later that he was misled.

Regardless, it's a neat bass that I might have been interested in originally, but because of the "sketchy": description it makes me distrustful of purchasing it. Makes me wonder what else might not be described "quite right".

Like I said, perhaps you didn't have the intention of misleading, but it's like the hot girl that goes out on a date with you, wears trashy clothes, flirts with you and whispers dirty things in your ear all night...only for you to find out it's a drag queen ! :eek:

Everything is not quite as advertised. :bag:

:D

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Well I have to admit this has become about the most pedantic for sale thread I could have imagined.

I am almost offended to have to defend myself but I guess I have to say that I described these pickups as such cause I honestly thought 'darkstars' had become a generic term for this style of metal cased pickup much like 'jazz' or 'precision, is now used to describe basses in the style of the original fenders. You know. Bandaid. Kleenex. Coke.kool Aid.

And doesn't Lakland call the pups on some of their retro models 'Dark Star' with the use of quotations as well?

So please ease up folks. Honest mistake (if not a debatable one) and I believe I am very clear and upfront about this bass and its pluses and minus in my descrption.but if someone cares to pm me suggested revised language I will take it into consideratio.

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for all the interest in the bass or otherwise.

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While not wanting to beat a dead horse (too much), and having previously stated that you probably weren't meaning to mislead someone (as I'm sure it was an honest mistake), calling these pickups "Dark Stars" (Yes, they are a actual name brand, not a generic description) is like calling your Electra Jazz style bass a "Fender". While there are indeed similarities, your Electra is no more a "Fender" than the pickups in it are "Dark Stars".

Anyway, like I said - honest mistake, and a cool bass at a reasonable price. Best of luck with your sale. And hey, you're getting free "bumps" ! :D

12. I am not trying to fan this fire either as I don't care but I thought I would answer some of the questions you seem to have.

Dark Stars are not metal cased pickups like what you have. They actually look nothing at all like what you have in your bass. They also have not become a generic term for this style of pickup because like I said they are not alike sonically or visually. The only thing similar to Dark Stars is old hagstrom pickups of which the Dark star was modeled after.

Lakland also used to have actual Dark Star pickups available in their basses and at that time you might have seen it but at the current time they have ChiSonic pickups available and they do not ever refer to them as Dark Stars.

13. Roger is a good guy to deal with.
    Mini-humbuckers might be more accurate than "Darkstars".
    Mistakes were made.
    But there are enough clear photos so that there is not a shred of deception going on.
    Ease up.

14. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC

Cool everyone. I stand corrected and further educated. And thanks for the free bumpage :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.