1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Elixir Nanoweb 4 string bass strings .045-.105 Medium

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by abassman84, Jan 21, 2012.

1. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    These bass strings are new in box and have a promotional sticker on back. I'm asking $30 shipped. Personal check or cashiers check from Wells Fargo accepted. Check must clear before shipped. Thank you for looking and have a great day.

image-2205024479.

image-3843367288.

2. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'll trade ya rounds, super slinkies root sounds

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'll trade ya if u don't sell em, see my thread, I have rounds of all sorts

4. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    Sorry man, I'm only interested in selling.

5. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    Last day of NAMM bump.

6. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    To the top.

7. Bill Leigh

Bill Leigh Editor In Chief, Bass Player Magazine

Apr 8, 2003
    Hey there.

Former BP editor Bill Leigh here. I'm consulting with Elixir Strings on the relaunch of their bass strings.

The Elixir Bass Strings you're offering for sale are NOT the same-old strings, but a significantly improved formulation.

• Elixir now winds the strings for more flexibility, vibration, and resonance
    • They tweaked the Nanoweb coating just for bass, making it more durable with no shredding, and imparting more natural feel that's easier to grip.
    • Elixir is also introducing coated Stainless Steel strings, which have that zingy bright sound but are easy on the fingers.

But you probably knew all that, since you received the strings you're selling for free, directly from me or one of my colleagues.

Now I'm not calling you out for selling a freebie (well, maybe a little bit). Goodness knows musicians need to do what they can.

However, I would prefer that you at least honor the spirit in which we gave you the strings. We gave them to you for a reason: We wanted you to try them on your bass for while, and let us know what you really think about how they feel, how they sound, how they last, and whether your experience with them has altered any previous view you may have had about coated strings.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want you to get something for nothing. After all, you did have to haul your buh-hind to the NAMM show, inasmuch as that's a burden.

So here's what I propose: Offer the strings you got for free for the price it costs you to ship them, plus 5 bucks, encouraging the recipient to take up your side of the obligation (i.e., give us some feedback about the strings).

In recognition of your honor and generosity, I'll send you a copy of The Funky Bass Book, edited by me with a foreword by Bootsy Collins.

Deal?

Cheers,

Bill Leigh

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
  9. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    primo bustage

:eyebrow:

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Haha LOL! Bustid!
    Dude, do the right thing...you know what it is.

11. abassman84

abassman84

Sep 27, 2007
    Fontana, CA
    Geez Bill, way to call me out man. Haha just kidding. Actually what happened was my friend gave me these strings since all he plays is five string basses. I actually didn't get my own strings there because your colleagues didn't give me the time of day. The reason I'm selling these is because I tried Elixir strings a few years back and am inclined to say that they were the worst, piece of crap strings I've ever used. If you say these are "different", than maybe I WILL keep these and give them a try. If they leave little shreddings all over my beloved basses, I will not be the happiest person in the world. I'll let you know the outcome. Thank you Bill.

12. They're his strings. He's entitled to do whatever he wants with them.

13. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    agreed, but this thread is finally beginning to deliver.....

/jiffypop

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've signed up for every trial Elixir has offered, and have been ignored every time. I guess I'm not good enough for them. So, DR gets my business.

I'd love to try the coated stainless steels, but I'm sure I'll never hear back. That's okay, DR makes them too...Dragon Skins.

Sorry for the derail, free bump though!

15. Bill Leigh

Bill Leigh Editor In Chief, Bass Player Magazine

Apr 8, 2003
    abassman84: Thanks for absorbing a good-natured ribbing. Sorry for the tepid booth reception. I do wonder, though, why your friend didn't walk away with a set of fives. We had them in both Nickel-Plated and the new Stainless Steel, which sound as spanky as you'd expect but are much easier on the fingers.

So, yes, they are quite different. Try them. Tell me what you think.

PM me your address, and I'll send you a stainless set plus whatever 5-string set your friend wished he had.

So in summary, let's scrap the old proposal for this new one:

I'm willing to consider this mild public ridicule as "time served" for an alleged aggravated freebie flip, especially one arguably justified by a less-than-awesome booth experience. All I ask is this: Send me your address, try the strings I'll send, and post what you think, good or bad. Deal?

And mmbongo, I'll offer you the same deal. Just tell me 4 or 5.

Lastly, to Dr Stankface, yes that's true; never said it wasn't. By the way, do you realize your name is Dr Stankface?

Cheers,

Bill

16. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    I've been using Elixirs for years.

Didn't send the test set back because I didn't want to part with them!

I will be trying the new SS strings and I'm more than happy to pay for 'em!

Bill, good for you for taking the high road.

17. Braddock

Braddock

Aug 13, 2010
    East Kentucky
    Hey Bill, you mentioned the newer strings are more durable so they won't shred. I heard on these forums that using picks on Elixir bass strings will shred the coating. I am wondering if that ever was true, and being more durable now is it safe to use picks on them without any worries and keep as long of life using picks as you could with fingers?

Thanks for the info and I cannot wait to try the new steels! When will they be available for purchase?

18. I can't wait for these strings to be available in xtra long scale 5's. Love elixirs. I definitely want to try the new stainless steals.

19. What's a little fuzz on the strings if they play like silk, have the voice they do and seem to never wear out?

I love my Nanos (on three basses) and won't give them up even if I needed to shave them every full moon. I even have the original set on my 2009 Ibanez SR500 - and they're still fine.

And NO - I've never been given a free pair and I don't work for Elixir - but I'm one of their biggest fans!

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I love my Elixir and would love to try the new strings and give feedback!