1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Ergo 6 EUB

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Jumbotron, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm selling my 6-string Ergo EUB. Pictures will be up soon, but for now, here's some info.

Ergos, if you aren't aware of them, are stick-like EUB's mounted to a robust tripod made of drum hardware. They're made by Jesse Blue, a great guy. For more general info, check out http://www.ergoinstruments.com. There's also an Ergo megathread here on TB that's easy to find.

Mine, if I remember right, is made of African cherry. This instrument, which I've had for about two years, is in very good condition. It has a regular 3/4 scale and medium action. Electronics are simple: one tone knob that pulls out to mute the signal. Build quality is very good, if spartan, except the inlaid logo is a little gluey.

I've made two minor modifications: first, I tung oiled the fingerboard and neck, which reduces friction and helps it from picking up dirt. This seems to have had no effect on tone. Second, I shielded the heck out of the control cavity and ran a ground wire to the bridge, which I covered in aluminum tape. This was to take care of a hum issue I was having due to bad wiring at home an in several clubs. The ground wire and tape on the bridge could be easily removed in a few minutes if you wanted to reverse that mod.

I'm selling this for one main reason: it's become clear to me that I don't need a six-string. The B and C strings look almost brand new, while the others show some wear. I'm sure somebody else out there could do really cool stuff with all those strings, but I'm just too basic a player to really be able to use them to their full potential.

Along with that all-important tripod stand, it will come with the case that Jesse recommended: a padded bag (by Neet) originally designed for longbows. You'll see this in one of the pictures when I have them up. It fits the Ergo like a glove. I think the bag was $36 new (EDIT: this used to read $50, but I found an old email with the price in it, so changed it to be totally honest).

I'd like to get $650 for it plus shipping. I'm not interested in any trades right now.

2. Still available.
    I'll pick up any shipping in excess of $30.

3. I'm going to give this another shot on here. I'd rather do that than ebay, to which it will go fairly soon if none of you wants it. Make an offer.

4. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    One question. Would that bass be allowed in a concert band/Orchestra?

5. Well, it's electric, so I guess that depends on the situation. I've heard of people using EUB's in such cases, but I think it's probably pretty unusual, as the preference is usually for something more traditional (i.e. acoustic).

6. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Hmmm, well, sorry. I'm in the market for something I can use in band and orchestra.

7. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey Jumbo-

Would you consider a trade for an Ergo 4 in mahogany?

8. Oh man, I totally would have done that a few months back: I'm getting rid of the six string because I only use four strings, and I like the Ergo concept a whole lot. But I got a good deal on an Aria SWB, and that's my EUB now, so sorry.

9. Still here.

10. This could be why:
    From the Ergo site PRICING:
    Four string: $650
    Five string: $700
    Six string: $750
    All instruments add $30 shipping in the Continental U.S.

You may have to do better than $100 off....

11. I see your point, though it should be noted that if you buy one new, you have to purchase your own case.

Let's try this: $600. Or make an offer. I don't expect it's possible to find a less expensive 6er than that unless you build it yourself.

12. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    Sent you a PM!

13. SOLD! Huzzah!

For whatever reason, I can't edit the title of the original post any more to reflect that it's sold. Sorry about that. Mods: if you happen to glance at this, feel free to work your mojo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.