1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Essex SX P/J - Upgraded!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had some down time between custom builds, so I ordered this SX SPJ-57 to mod and sell. Nothing major here, just a few key tweaks to take this already solid bass up a notch.

The 3 things I always change on SX basses are the bridge, the pots, and the strings. That's what I've done here. The bridge is a high-mass black bridge, with grooves for the saddles so they don't shift. The stock 500K pots have been replaced with 250k pots (I also installed a .100µF capacitor, like the vintage Fenders). The strings are Fender 7150M nickel roundwounds. These strings really bring some old-school thump.

I also ran steel wool over the entire neck to give it a satin feel, and to remove the ultra shiny plastic look of the new poly finish. Then I did a complete setup, so the intonation and action are perfect.

Sound clips:

Fingerstyle
    (Both pickups)
    Pick (Neck pickup only)

Price is $230, shipped! :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TastyFunkyBass

TastyFunkyBass

Apr 5, 2009
    Nice bass.

How is the neck on those?

3. PM'd

4. To me it feels much like my American P-Bass. I actually find it easier to play closer to the nut as the strings are further apart than a J neck.

5. Sale pending....

6. SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.