Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

[FS]: Essex SX SJB-62 black, new strings, $120 shipped

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by funkcicle, May 3, 2005.

1. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I have a practically new SX SJB-62 black that I wish to sell for $120 shipped.

I bought this bass intending on using the body for a project bass, but ended up ordering one with an Ash body instead. I set her up with a set of S.I.T. strings on it the day she arrived, and she has sat in her box since then. These sell new for $119+ shipping.. I would like $120, this includes shipping and the new strings.

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    (not the actual bass, but you can't tell them apart)

2. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Bump.

Bass could use a home. PM me!

3. would you ship to canada for that price?

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Aint that pushing the profit margin a bit ?? :eyebrow:

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well trying to sell a used bass at full price is a tough one to sell too. New strings or not.

6. it only cost me $28USD to ship one here from Main

7. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    1) full price is $120 PLUS shipping(another $20), 2) new strings are generally $40, the strings it ships with are not playable, 3) You're getting a bass that has been inspected, professionally setup and played, not a bass shipped blind from a warehouse that you might have to ship back 2 or 3 times before you get one that's even workable, as several people(myself included) have done with this brand.

I'm selling an instrument in better condition than it came to me, for less than I paid for it, and far less than it's worth.. I'm not worried about profit margin, that type of attitude will kill you in this business(he who buys instruments worrying about resale can ONLY be unhappy). I'm selling a good instrument at a great price that will be a bargain to somebody, and will put some cash back into my current investments at the same time. What's your beef?

Answer to the original question- yes, I'll ship it to Canada(for a fellow Canadian).

8. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My only point is that it's a used bass and new basses always lose value once they're bought. I'm not saying it's necessarily an unfair price for it, but when someone can get a brand new one for nearly the same price there aren't usually going to be as many jumping to buy it. I meant no offense to you or your sale.

9. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    No offense taken.. i just don't consider this a used bass. I intonated it, strung it, fixed the electronics(was improperly grounded), fixed the neck, and thoroughly tested it. then it went back to it's box. Basses on a sales floor endure much more "use" than that, and not for the better.. additionally, "brand new" in this case is almost certainly not for the better. In the end all that matters is that bass goes to the right buyer, and that's what'll happen.

Peace:D

10. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Indeed. Sounds like you made quite a few good changes to the bass.

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Valid point, he is in Syracuse.....

12. rsgars

rsgars

Aug 6, 2003
    NY State
    Is this bass still available?

13. -Dude, where do you buy your strings? I didn't think anybody bought them at full price anymore?
    -What professional set it up?
    -I don't know how you can say you are selling it for far less than it is worh. It is worth $120 new, and not worth $120 used, even with the over-priced strings.

Just pointing out some selling tips for you.

14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Quote from the Marketplace FAQ; posted by our glorious leader Paul:
    "Sellers are entitled to ask any price they want for their item. Please do not contact a seller regarding their prices unless you’re interested in purchasing the item."

I am not a moderator...just wanted to remind everyone about the rules.

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

so it's a hell of alot cheaper to ship to Canada from Syracuse ( like two hours away by road) than it is from Santa Monica...

16. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks for the bump, to answer your questions:

strings- you're right, they were only $33 :bawl: .
    setup- I set it up myself. I make a living at it, I have many happy customers.
    value- see: setup. "new" these basses are junk, this bass is not junk. The setup I did on this bass would run about $80 in my shop.. and that's the price I'd charge a friend.

But that's not what I'm selling. I'm selling a cheap bass in significantly better than new condition for about 20% less than I paid for it, with assurance of no hassle, no gamble, and no fancy arithmetic. $120 shipped. I'm offering this as a favour and would welcome anybody who doubts the value to come and play the bass themself and point me to a better deal.

Peace, love, bump.