1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Exotic Padauk PRECISION Bass Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Now for something different. I was trying out a new source for bass bodies, and I sent them a paduak body blank. This is the result. The body is basically raw, except for 2 coats of sand & sealer.

Pretty freakin gorgeous if you ask me!

Now, for the bad news. I guess their template isn't exactly like Fender, for some reason. There are a few things you'll need to work around:

1. A standard pickguard doesn't fit right. You would need to get a custom guard made. Tony at Pickguardian.com does great work. You could send him a tracing, or send him the actual body.

2. The neck pocket width is perfect, and fits my Allparts and USACG necks just fine. But the length is almost 1" longer than normal. So if you mount the neck at the correct location, you'll have a gap between the heel of the neck and the body. You would want your pickguard to cover this up.

3. Just to try something different, I asked for the pickup route to be shifted 3/4" closer to the neck. I figured this would provide a thumpier and more mellow tone. You would need to plan for this on your pickguard.

So basically, a properly made pickguard is all you need to make this work.

One more thing: I will drill the hole for the bridge ground wire prior to shipping.

I'm asking only $100 shipped in the lower 48 states.

020-3.

021-2.

022-1.

2. astrah

astrah Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Eagle River, AK
    How much does it weigh?

3. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    stunning. would love to see how this ages. padauk tends to go brown. if this had a rear rout chances are i'd be all over it, i'd just make my own neck. wood like that is too pretty to cover up with a guard for something i dont even use. ;)

good luck with the sale
    mordechai

4. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    I'll take it!

5. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Damn, I'm about to order a Padouk body from Warmoth. Already said, but if this was rear routed I'd be all over it. Got any more?

6. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Absolutely beautiful, and gorgeous grain, too. Nice deal for you Rapisme!

I'm choosing woods now for a build. My first choice was padouak, and I've also heard about browning. None of the folks I've spoken with have the same opinion on how long the process takes. One guy at a woodworking supply shop said it could be up to ten years, depending on how it's finished and it's UV exposure. He also said the dust it creates in the shop is super-toxic to breathe, so I'm kinda leaning away from it.

7. SOLD!