1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: fbb Custom Moderna unlined fretless 4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kotzman, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Hello TB crowd! I have here an fbb Custom unlined fretless 4 string for sale. It is brand new, with very little (2hrs?) playing time. If you are not familiar with Matt Schmill's work, check out his site:
    http://www.fbbcustom.com/

This is bass #109. His work is simply surpurb. The build quality equals that of instruments three times the cost. On that note, I have about $1250 into it. PRICE DROP: $900 SHIPPED!!

SPECS:
    model: 4 string freltess Moderna
    body: figured jatoba over sassafrass with khaya accent
    neck: 3 piece maple/wenge set-neck
    fingerboard: 34" scale madagascar rosewood
    pickup: Bartolini M34CBC - M3 Soapbar (an upgrade)
    electronics: passive volume and tone
    hardware: ziricote/guiacan bridge, Gotoh tuners
    weight: 7.5lbs
    string width: 1.25" at nut, 2.25" at bridge {the nut itself is actually 1 9/16"}

It is the lightest and best balanced solid body bass I have ever played. It has the growly fretless bridge pickup sound we all know and love with the added thickness of the soapbar. It plays like a dream and sounds beautiful.

Why?? because I have too many, and in the world of four string I am more comfortable on a Jazz

I accept paypal and cashiers checks.
    Thanks for looking!!

Attached Files:

2. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    more pix, bump

Attached Files:

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Man, FBB's just get little to no love here on TB. Don't know why as they are very fine instruments. I could'nt even get $750 for mine here. The two that I have had were easily comparable to instruments double or more in cost. Bump for a great bass and deal!

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Kotzman, that's a really nice bass .... I saw that during its build, very light and the neck is fantastic :D

And yeah, Quad, I've never understood the lack of attention to these basses. When you see the quality of the instrument, and hear the tone (they all have a fairly similar "FBB" tonal quality despite the electronics), and then look at the ridiculously low prices .... well, I just don't get it at all .... :rolleyes:

Hope the sale goes well, this is a nice bass ... :cool:

5. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    No idea. I just managed to buy one used from Bass & Beyond (#1100, the one in my avatar)...... will get here on Monday. Couldn't believe the price I got it for. Not sure why there isn't more demand for these basses (other than that it's been explained to me that FBB just isn't as well known a name yet).

My bass teacher has a fretless hand-made PRS bass that was made for him in the late 70's, before PRS became big. I kind of like to think that the people out there getting FBB's, LeCompte's, etc. right now are sort of like what my bass teacher was when he got that PRS.

6. kaiserFunk

kaiserFunk

Jun 17, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    PM Sent

7. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    PM's replied too. Thanks for the comments on the fbb guys, I think that they are a hell of a bargain for what they are. The build on this one is just fantastic. I really like it, but am just spending more time with my Modulus VJ fretless and my Stambaugh jazz style fretless. I pick up the fbb though and it sings. Sigh...

8. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    BUMP FOR PRICE DROP!!

9. kaiserFunk

kaiserFunk

Jun 17, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Sent ya an e-mail, Kotz. Great clip too :)

10. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    email responded to , have a great weekend!!

11. kaiserFunk

kaiserFunk

Jun 17, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    E-mailed ya back

12. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    they have an earthy lusciousness that just feel so right in your hands, some of the lightest neck thru basses around,mine is 6.3 lbs, 32" scale. I'll have it forever.

...they really are some of the most underpriced,under-rated boutique basses out there.
    Matt spends his time on what's important, tone.rather than flash.

I am dying to hear that fretless...I have a soft spot for these basses.

btw, Zadillo's FBB, I know it well, it was for sale a while ago,I always considered it sort of the sister bass to mine, I always wanted that one,:crying: enjoy!

[​IMG]

13. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks for the affirmation on the fbb. I have a sound file if you want me to email it to you.

14. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Just wanted to give you a bump.

I just got my FBB bass today (#1100, the one in my avatar).

Seriously people, the pictures do not do these basses justice (and I think the pictures of these basses are beautiful).

Really, these things look great in pictures, but in person, they're like a work of art.

And the sound is great too........ already plugged it into my amp and absolutely love the sound. And the neck feels great. I definitely see what quadrogong means when he describes their "earthy luciousness that just feels right in your hands".

Really, the attention to detail in these are amazing.

The fact that people can get them used for the prices people are asking seems like it makes for one of the most amazing deals in the world of basses. Now that I've seen my own FBB bass in person, I would have gladly paid 3 times the price.

Good luck selling yours! Whoever does buy it will surely be in for a surprise.

15. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    if it was lined,
    i might ignore the fact that I have too many basses
    and just pop for it..
    I definitely want either FBB or Pedulla for my first fretless,

I played my FBB all night yesterday and today after seeing this post..it reminded me of just how warm and smooth it sounds.
    I need to spend some bucks on my rig now, otherwise I'd consider it.
    nice looking one,it looks like his early models kinda,that's cool.

16. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks for the bumps guys, and again the affirmations of how good the fbb basses are. I hope that Matt is seeing this. I sat down with the bass and played it for a while.... never do that when you are trying to part with a nice instrument! You guys are about to talk me out of selling it. Kaiserfunk, are you out there? Do you still want it? I just have too many in the closet!

17. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Still for sale... I have a good sound file too... bump

18. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    New gig bag included, truss wrench included... bump

19. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    ON HOLD PENDING PAYMENT...

20. kotzman

kotzman

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    SOLD!!! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR LOOKING AND POSTING. THANKS TO MATT SCHMILL FOR BUILDING SUCH FINE BASSES.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.