1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS feeler 1972 Fender Precision Walnut Brown

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman_al, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I am on the fence about selling or trading this bass. I love it, but its just a lot of money to have tied up in one bass, especially since I play my Jazz bass a lot more than this one since I bought the Jazz a couple years ago. So looking to sell, or trade this one for another less vintage MIA P-bass or P/J, also would love a Sadowsky (metro is fine) or Lakland (Skyline is fine). This is the bass I have owned the longest. I bought it around 1995. The pictures tell the story. This bass has a "B" neck. It weighs 8.3 lbs, weighed on a digital scale at UPS. Also, my TB friend Dave (Thunderitter) generously offered to take some higher quality photos. 2 are shown here, the rest are posted in the link below. Below is a link to Dave's website page that currently hosts all the pics he took. Below that is a link that has some of his shots plus some others I took.

http://www.davesbassplace.com/DavesBassPlace/APs_72_P.html

attachment.

attachment.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alanlpachter/FenderPrecision1972

and another album, with some duplicates from the album above, but also some additional shots of the frets that I took when I started this post

http://picasaweb.google.com/AlanPachter/FenderPrecision

To my knowledge the mods on this bass include and are limited to the following:

New input jack added 3 or 4 years ago, works very nicely.

Stock pickups were re-installed by me yesterday after having DiMarzio DP 122's the past year and a half.

There is a brass nut. The frets look to be original. I have not done anything to the frets or the nut since I bought it. The frets are slightly low, but the bass plays like a dream and sounds great. Plenty of close up pics of the frets in links below. No dead spots, nice even action up and down the neck. The action on this bass is way lower than any I was able to obtain on other basses I have owned. That is why I have not had the frets and nut replaced, I am not sure I could keep the action as-is with new frets. But I am also no expert on fretwork or set-ups, although I have learned to do my own basic set-up. The neck on this bass almost never needs adjustments. Temperature and humidity shifts don't affect it. I live in the DC area, and the humidity in the house can be very dry, all the way up to 70%, and outside temps here go from the 20's in winter to upper 90's in summer.

Comes with the original case, which is plenty beat up but does work. I will have the bass professionally packed in the case, so that the bass does not move around. I retired the case 2 years ago from "active duty" and have been using a polyfoam case instead. Polyfoam case not included in the sale.

Although this is a "vintage" bass, it is a player's bass since it is not "all original." I take it to most of my non-jazz gigs such as weddings and private parties. Here are a couple videos. The disco bass solo features my mediocre chops, but allows you to hear how this bass comes through the mix, although it is just me and the drummer playing in this clip. I was still using EB hybrid rounds then. The amp was my old SVT III and I had the bass going into my Sansamp on the way to the amp, before I learned how to properly EQ the amp for the tone I wanted. The cab was my old Hartke 410XL.

I have not gigged it as much the past 2 years, and generally it has been babied since I have owned it. I am a part-time player, and I don't tour. The bass always rides in the front of the car with me. You can see this bass has accumulated plenty of mojo dings along the way. I think it makes it look pretty cool.

Several TB-ers have played this bass at Get Togethers here in Virginia, and they are available to comment on how this bass plays. Some have already done so in this thread.

Price drop to $2,000 shipped and insured or make me an offer. US shipping only. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

2. saxshooter

saxshooter

Sep 18, 2009
    Washington DC
    you're making us download 40mb of pictures, can you post them instead?

3. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I just changed the ad to a different link. Try that.

4. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thank you, I am making the changes.

5. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I added a couple shots, one of which is an outdoor shot which gives a better idea of the color of the bass.

6. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    bump, any offers?

7. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    beautiful bass!

8. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thanks, though I have never thought of this bass and being beautiful. It sure sounds nice, and plays nicely too. And is very light weight. But its brown, after all. Still, I have owned it longer than any other bass I have had. So it must be doing something right! Mostly I have GAS for a Sadowsky, or maybe a Lakland, or maybe a Mike Lull.

9. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I lowered the price and added some pics, some videos and a little more info on the bass.

10. insain

insain

Apr 21, 2008
    Nashville
    would you be willing to trade for other gear?

11. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    really need to get another bass since I only have 2 including this one, but you can throw an offer my way so I can see what you had in mind.

12. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    bump

13. deadsled

deadsled

Apr 6, 2006
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger, Innovation Strings, Blast Cult Bass
    How about a trade for a 1984 Yamaha BB-2000 in almost mint condition and a little cash? Or I also have an Ampeg B-15R reissue portaflex amp, 100 watts all tube. It's a real nice amp and sounds perfect with a p-bass.

I am in Greensboro, NC, so not too far away. If you wanted you could come by and check out some gear and maybe we can come up with a deal.

14. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thanks for the offer but I think I will see what other offers come down the pike...

15. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    PM's replied. Still available.

16. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Still available

17. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    snow bump (mogul?)

18. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Ohh my!!! You are selling this? Man, if I had the cash, this would be mine. This thing just KILLS!!!! I had the pleasure to play this at our GTG and it is amazing.

Bump for a great guy and a great player with a killer bass!!!

19. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thanks Chris!

20. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Just thought of something, in addition to Chris there were several others at that GTG who played the bass if anyone needs other references!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.