1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS Feeler: Fender MIJ 70s Jazz w/ upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by meursault42, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    RELISTED HERE:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fender-mij-70s-jazz-w-upgrades-relist-847156/

Serial number Q003935. I bought this a little less than a year ago because I wanted to have a J-bass in my arsenal. It's been given a complete overhaul by Tom Pellerito from Detroit, who is in my opinion one of the best luthiers on the planet. He's who the people behind the Standing in the Shadows of Motown production decided to hire to set up all the guitars and basses for that concert/movie. He does absolutely nothing to promote himself, but within the Detroit community, he's very well known by word-of-mouth. He does setups and refrets for Terrence Palmer if that gives you any idea.

So here's what he did:
    Pulled the old ragged frets
    Leveled the fretboard
    Replaced, crowned, leveled, polished, etc. the new frets
    Replaced the nut
    Replaced the bridge w/ Fender spiral saddle bridge
    Replaced the PUPs with Fralin split-coils (no-hum!)

All-in-all about $750 worth of work/parts was put into this bass. Now, I obviously don't expect to be able to recoup all of that, but the asking price does reflect my belief that this is now a FAR superior bass to any similar MIJ basses you'd normally find. I'm only selling it because I've got a car downpayment on the horizon and need a boost to make that happen. I'm sure this sale will come with a fair amount of regret on my end.

My understanding is that it was manufactured in or around '93, so this bass is in fantastic shape considering it's nearly 20yrs old. Per request, I can furnish more close-up detailed photos. Bass weighs 9.5 lbs. Comes w/ OHSC.

$900 obo shipped to the ConUS only. If you live outside of the U.S. and are seriously interested, please PM me with your location, and we'll see if we can work it out.

2011-12-30202922.

2011-12-30203355.

2011-12-30203153.

2011-12-30203036.

2. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Weight?

3. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    Even when you give the weight they still ask bump.

4. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    It wasn't in there before I asked smart aleck. ;)

5. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    luckie my dad would call me that too, to funny. just joking anyway
    ha ha

6. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ^

7. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    WOW. It's beautiful. If I wasn't overloaded with J's and wanting to try a P, I'd bite. GLWTS of this gorgeous Jazz!

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    NIiiiiiiiiiice.

9. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ^

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Does it have a case?

11. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Yes, a Fender hardshell case. It's the semi-guitar-shaped type, not rectangular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.