1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS feeler: PRS five-string with flame top

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the bass I always said I'd be buried with, and it is my last electric bass. I've gigged it once in the last year and am looking at a $2000+ bill to restore an upright, which is the only reason I'm considering selling it. If I don't get an offer I like I'll pull the ad and find another way. Trades for a nice Jazz Bass plus cash will be considered.

I bought this bass in 1997 from the original owner. Less than 800 original-run PRS basses were made between 1987-1990 and a lot of those live with fanboy collectors who wouldn't consider selling their bass for less than five grand. There cant be more than a hundred bolt-on fivers in the world. I'm a player who put in over 1,000 gigs on this bass and it's still going strong.

Ash body with 1/2" thick highly flamed maple top and a cherry burst nitro finish. Bolt on maple neck with Brazilian rosewood board. Currently strung with TI Jazz Flats, the bass plays wonderfully and is capable of a number of unique and classic tones. Back of headstock signed by Mike Watt.

Photos will be available tomorrow. It's not in collector condition but as I said above it was a working bass for decades that I kept while I sold three Alembic Series 2s and several Sadowskys. Please PM best offers, and thanks for reading.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    subscribed and awaiting photos

3. So... price? Need to post one with ads in the classifieds

4. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Subscribed

5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    +1

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I remember those. Where are the photos?

7. Do I? Sorry. Don't spend much time in this forum these days. Let's call it $2500 or best offer. Photos being shot tonight and posted tomorrow. Thanks to everyone interested.

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Yes...pics please from a PRS lover

9. Bump for photos and thanks for all the interest. I would also consider trading for a Sadowsky Metro (any configuration) and +/- $1,000.

For clarity's sake, this bass was not made on a CNC machine. It is an entirely handmade instrument built while Paul and his crew were still a small shop.

IMG_0072.

IMG_0073.

IMG_0074.

IMG_0077.

10. dmonroe

dmonroe

Jun 16, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Just out of curiosity.....Why on earth would you deface such a beautiful instrument by covering the back with bumper stickers?!?!?! I understand, different strokes and all.

11. I was in my 20s. Nothing a little Goo-Gone can't handle.

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    In the pic of the back is that finish that's worn off the neck or a flash artifact?

Very cool bass.

13. Thank you. No flash artifact. In the "money" positions, the finish is worn through in areas, and all the way to the wood behind the third and fifth frets. I'm not exaggerating how much gig time it got. This bass fed my kids for years.

Full disclosure: some might feel it needs a fret dressing. The frets don't bother me, and strung with flats as it currently is, there is no buzz.

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I think I just died a little......oh my that sweet.....

15. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Bump for a bass full of mojo! I just love the look and feel of a well played bass! :)

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What's up with the one Gotoh tuning key? Nice bass, want a '95 CIJ Mustang Bass strung with TI Jazz Flats and some cash? What case does this come with?

17. The original B string tuner blew out before I got it, so the original owner had that gold replacement put on. The case is a black square plywood Fender type.

How much cash are we talking about? Feel free to PM me.

18. TwoGearGeeks

TwoGearGeeks

Sep 25, 2009
    Seattle
    Free bump for the ska stickers on the back!

19. After a week and 1,000 views without an offer, I have to assume no one is seriously interested. Thread closed. Thanks to everyone who expressed interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.