1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS FEELER: Squier Affinity Jazz V, with 2 MM pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by eastcoasteddie, Jan 3, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Many of you remember the Squier I bought on impulse, used from GC. I bought it ONLY so I can do this and see what happens.

I have to say, it was successful. I routed the body for dual MM style 5-string pickups, as well as added an Active/Passive 2-band preamp.

Bridge pickup is a Rockfield Alnico, same as the Traben John Moyer Havoc. The Neck pickup is a Ceramic out of my Dean SledgeHammer 5. I had them installed the other way (ceramic in bridge, Rockfield in neck) and didn't like the tone. With the Alnico in the bridge, it sounds very much like a Jazz should. Warm and growly.

The PReamp I got off ebay, from Al's Music Source. It is a very quiet preamp, and is also very transparent. When active, it sounds very much like it does passive, except for the bass & treble boost, of course. It is a BOOST-ONLY preamp. If you roll both bands all the way off, and hit the active/passive switch, you'll hear no difference. Controls are set up as Vol-Blend-Treble-Bass

I kept the plickup coils wired in Parallel. After playing with Series/parallel/split coil, I found that parallel/split coil sounds best.
    I installed 3 mini toggle switches. One controls the neck pickup coil split (single coil operation), 2nd one does the bridge pickup coil split. The 3rd one actually takes the bridge pickup and switches the coils to series. This also inadvertently allows you to split either the north or south coils, the 2 switches work in conjunction.
    Both down = parallel
    middle switch down, last switch up = north coil split (closer to neck)
    both switches up = Series coils
    middle switch up, last switch down = South coil (closer to bridge)

I left the neck pickup in parallel/coil split because in Series, the neck pickup will have just WAY too much output and clip my amp even with the Bass of the OBP rolled completely off. Parallel is much more controllable. Bridge pickup in Series is OK to deal with due to its proximity to the bridge, it does not become boomy.

Along with the preamp installation, I had to move the input jack to the side. I made my own jack plate out of 12 gauge stainless steel. I also decided to route a battery compartment, for which I made a steel battery cover, similar to the old-school Stingray covers.

Why am I thinking of selling?

I'd ask $250 shipped. I'm not making any money on it, just breaking even with all the parts I put into it. Bass was $140 with a new set of D'addario nickels, $60 for preamp and knobs, $40 for the Rockfield pickup and $10 for switches. All my routing and wiring work, I treat as a learning experience. It's nowhere near a professional job, so I can't charge money for it and feel good about myself.

The pickguard is gone. I tried cutting it for the pickup, and I screwed it up and it went into the recycling bin.
    But I recently had a thought...that since I still have the original pickups, you can install the stock neck pickup in the original location as an H/S style, and just get another pickguard for it, and it would cover up the large pickup route.
    Pickguards for MIM Jazz V's fit nicely on these Affinity's

Why am I thinking of selling?

I don't know...I think 4 basses is too much for a guy that isn't actively gigging. I have the L2500, which to my ears is the best sounding bass I've had; have the Stingray which I fell in love with all over again since I installed the Duncan preamp, and I have the Dean, which just plain kicks ass.

pics (note: some of the pics are older, with only 2 toggle switches and when I had it setup as VVTB):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body has a few dings in it, which it came with. The neck is OK, although I do believe a fret job will correct a couple of high spots that may or may not buzz, depending on humidity levels...has a couple of slight dings in the back, but they don't impede playing. I think some kid had it as a 1st bass, as he/she signed their name on the back of the headstock. I didn't try to remove it, I felt it adds character in some funny, weird way. There's also a sticker on the neck plate that reminds you what fundamental notes each string is...which I didn't remove either.

Let me know if you have any interest in s a project of impulse...

It would be shipped in a double box. I have the original guitar box my Dean came in, and a box for that box.

2. you have a deal now if it can be full time passive?

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    what do you mean?

it has a passive switch, but I'm not sure what your question is.

In order to be full time passive, I'd have to take the preamp out and re-install a VVT setup. Then you'd have a side input hole, which wouldn't be a big deal if you go with a VVTT setup...but you'd still have a battery hole in it.

I think the preamp makes it sound better than a passive bass, because it is doesn't colour the sound at all.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Could you post photos of the front and back of the headstock?

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    [​IMG]

note the prized autograph!!!
    [​IMG]

6. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    PM'd

7. eastcoasteddie