FS: Fender '50s Classic Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by the art guy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Here's an MIM Fender '50s Classic P Bass. These are great vintage-style instruments, and truly the best of the best when it comes to Fender's recent import quality. I love this bass, and the only reason I'm selling is to raise money for a bigger purchase (and I have an '82 Fullerton P, so I can live without this if I have to).

It's got wear on the body - some swirling and small scratches, and a couple touch up spots from a previous owner. Neck is just about perfect. Plays fantastic. Currently I have a very worn black pickguard on it that was taken off a '73 P I used to have (though I have no evidence that it's an original Fender guard), and the stripes are just red tape that will come right off. (The "Grand Sport" reference will be understood by sports car/muscle car fans. ;)) I can put the original gold anodized guard back on if the buyer prefers. The previous owner shielded the cavities with some foil too, but I believe all else is original. (Note: she's wearing flats in the pics, but will probably ship with some rounds instead.)

Price is $495 shipped in lower 48, without a case - although I may be able to include a hard case with a full price offer...we can talk about that.

classic50s1_zps406818b9.jpg

classic50s3_zpse6a7b53f.jpg

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Nice bass @ a nice price... And a free "Mopar" bump for you! :D

3. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks!

I'm considering the possibility of selling the loaded body separately too. If I decide to do that for sure, I'll post a price of course. And again, buyer would have the choice of pickguards if so.

4. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    This price is ridiculous! Shame I don't have the money. :(
    Please someone buy it, cause it tempts me!

5. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Bump for being snowed in with the family today!

6. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Bump for "I'm not going to make any end-of-the-world jokes". Still available.

As far as trades go, I'm really looking for a sale here...as I'm raising cash for an AV Fender P or similar. If you happen to have an extra one of those lying around, I'd be happy to trade this bass, plus the vintage Ibanez Roadstar I've got advertised, plus cash.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-vintage-ibanez-roadstar-ii-p-j-w-ohsc-941748/

7. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Bump for Saturday. I'd sell the loaded body for 250, with the original gold guard reinstalled.

8. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Okay, I got one bass sold today - it's time to get this one sold too. I'll let this go for $475 shipped to the lower 48. It's not going any lower than that. If no one wants it at that price, I'll go ahead and keep the neck and concentrate on selling off the rest.

9. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    If I can move a couple of things, oh yes, this would be mine

10. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    She wants to be yours! ;)

Seriously, I'm not joking when I say that these basses in general are such a steal. I spend most of my time on a Fullerton-era '57 reissue, which I'll take to my bass-playing grave. But this thing comes pretty close to the sound and feel, and for....what, about a quarter of the price on the used market?

11. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    Couldn't agree more.....

12. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Early AM drive-by. Lovely bit of workmanship by Fender's Ensenada facility. These basses thunder, incredible bang for buck ratio. Someone please give this a new home! Can't bear to see a part-out. :crying:

I'd put the gold ano on, but JMHO. GLWTS!!

13. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks, guys. I'm up early too. I keep meaning to put the gold guard back on and post some pics, but holiday activities are keeping me from getting it done. Maybe later.

14. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    black is better bump :)

15. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Okay, for you purists: here she is back with the original gold anodized pickguard. This is how she'll ship to you. I kind of want to keep that weird black guard anyway.

classicwithgold_zps5cfbfd58.jpg

16. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Man, a lot of great stuff for sale on this board right now. (Including this one!)

I know many of you know all about these basses, but if you don't, here's the specs from Fender. And someone can please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this is exactly the same bass as the Road Worn '50s, just without the reliced finish.

http://www.fender.com/products/50s-precision-bass

17. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Some nice partial trade offers coming in. I should clarify: I'll listen to anything P bass related, but what I'm really after is an American Vintage reissue, or an actual vintage P (obviously with me throwing in cash). Gotta be 9 lbs. or under also. Thanks!

18. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Cold Christmas bump! It's a balmy 1 degree here in the Midwest this morning. Come spend your holiday cash on this great bass!

19. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Sold!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021