1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Fender Blacktop "Jazz" (double P-pickup) fully loaded body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by TimBosby, Aug 12, 2012.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Please note: this is just for the loaded body. The neck pictured has been sold.

Fender FINALLY made a stock "double Precision" so I had to buy it... but like all impulsive projects, this one's just getting in the way at the moment.

SPECS
    -Alder "Blacktop" Jazz Bass body in Fender's "Chrome Pearl" finish -Blacktop Split Single-Coil Precision Bass pickups w/ cream covers (I do not have the original black covers but they are easily obtainable online if that's your preference)
    -Blacktop 4-saddle adjustable HiMass bridge (very cool - similar to a Badass and it was the stock bridge!)
    -Vintage Style Jazz Bass knobs
    -Passive electronics: Vol/Vol/Tone

SOUND
    This thing roars, especially for a passive instrument. The neck pickup sounds absolutely HUGE - as loud and thunderously bass-heavy as any active P-style pickup. The bridge pickup is (naturally) quieter but adds some nice "Jazz" style snap. I prefer to roll the bridge pickup down about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way and then roll the tone off 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. Nice fat P sound with a little extra bite but no mush. Honestly these stock MIM pickups are fantastic. I'd see no reason to ever replace them.

CONDITION
    It's in excellent shape. May have a couple dings and tiny scratches here and there. The Chrome Pearl finish has a kind of micro-sparkle to it (very hard to photograph) and there is one very light outer-finish-only scrape on the upper bout. It almost looks like sticker residue or something, but it wouldn't come out with goo-gone, so I figured it's probably just a small wear spot on the outer layer of finish. I bought the bass in brand-new condition from Musician's Friend about a month ago, and I got a $25 credit added to my account when I told them about this spot. It's BARELY noticeable, you can feel it more than you can see it. But I figured, may as well let them know since they sold it as "new." There may be a few other minor blems on the body, but nothing that I've found. All the chrome is shiny and everything functions as it should.

Schaller straplock ends installed on the bass, however I do not have a spare strap or neck plate to include, sorry.

My price for the loaded body is [DEL]$325[/DEL] $295 shipped, but I am open to all reasonable cash offers. I prefer NOT to part it out at this time. Lower 48 only at this time. I prefer cash, but I'd consider a trade toward a G&L SB-2 or similar fretless (prefer unlined.)

Pics below. They do NOT do this gorgeous finish justice!

IMG_1497.
    IMG_1498.
    IMG_1499.
    IMG_1500.
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-un4XpubgCA4/UCMJsnnUPoI/AAAAAAAABCU/ltDPZVIKrFI/s640/IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1506.
    IMG_1507.
    IMG_1508.

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    $295 shipped or best offer. Just add a neck and you're ready to rock...this thing sounds huge.

3. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    Can you tell me what the loaded body weighs?

Thx

4. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    - - - Holding for an accurate weight - - -

The weight is important to me.
    Thx

:bassist:

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Just weighed it. It's about 6.5 lbs fully loaded with pickups, bridge etc. My bathroom scale is not the best, so it could vary a bit. When I weighed it with the neck on, it was right around 9 lbs, and I think most necks are about 2.5 lbs or so, so I guess that makes sense.

It's alder, so definitely going to be heavier than a swamp ash body, but not as heavy as a northern ash body (like a vintage Fender)

Bump.

6. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    PayPal Sent!

SOLD!

:bassist:

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA