1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Fender Custom Shop Jaco Pastorius Signature Fretless Jazz bass - Serial # 008

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by GAS-Xtreme, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAS-Xtreme

GAS-Xtreme Registered Loser

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    FS: Fender Custom Shop Jaco Pastorius Signature Fretless Jazz bass - Serial # 008
    Ready to Ship!
    Greetings, and thanks for your interest. Up for sale is a true collector's dream. Let me break it down for you…

What it’s all about:
    This is serial number 008 (out of the first 100) of the Custom Shop Pastorius Artist bass. The first Jaco Pastorius Signature Basses were made in a limited run of 100 instruments in 1991. This was the result of a collaboration between the Fender Custom Shop and The Bass Centre in California, along with former Jaco bass tech Kevin Kaufman. They were commissioned by The Bass Centre to be built by Fender Custom Shop. It comes setup by him with the Rotosound roundwounds Jaco used, and a special Bass Centre signature backplate with the serial number. You can read more about this bass with these links:

http://www.kdiproductions.com/jaco_article.htm
    http://www.jacopastorius.com/ forum posting
    Harmony Central Reviews

About the Fretboard:
    I have posted this bass previously and the question came up regarding the coating on the fretboard. It is, in fact, polyester coated, as verified by Mr. Kaufman himself, when I contacted his shop in West Palm, Kaufman Daenzer Productions. He said they opted for the polyester because the epoxy process took much longer. Thanks to Chris for the help in this inquiry; Chris said the Certificate of Authenticity is good, but you could call them at 561-832-1249 if you had any more questions.

What’s its condition?:
    This bass is in excellent condition; please see the pictures, particularly the ones with reflected light to see its lack of scratches. The only thing on this bass that I would consider a blemish is the barely noticeable scuff on the back near the jack (see last picture) which was there when I got it. Other than that it’s super clean, never gigged and hardly ever seen sunlight. Even the case is super clean!

How/when I got it: Estate sale about 4 years ago.

Why I’m selling it:
    A few simple reasons. First of all, I’m not a very good bass player, so I’m not really worthy of even owning it. Secondly, I’m trying to thin my collection down to the basics, and I don’t even like to touch this bass, much less play it. So why keep it sitting around when it could be in better hands?

What it comes with:
    Comes with Original style chrome hardware, including reverse tuning machine and bridge, Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass strings- the same set used by Jaco, original style brown hardshell case, engraved neckplate with Jaco's signature and serial number, certificate of authenticity signed by John Page of the Fender Custom Shop (see picture), original leather strap and cable, cleaning cloth and tags.

Why you should buy it:
    If you’re a real Jaco collector you don’t want to pass up the opportunity to own this bass. It’s a rarity to get such a low serial number, and its condition is outstanding. These basses are increasing in value and and this one will increase more as it nears its 20th anniversary. Check out a recording I made with the bass going through a Line 6 BassPOD’s Acoustic 360. I made a feeble attempt at the first lines of “A Remark You Made”.

Terms of Sale:
    Selling for $2300 and buyer pays shipping (I’ll send a quote), unless an Orlando, FL area pick-up is desired. Not looking for a trade at this time; trying to thin the collection. I accept PayPal (use your credit cards if you like) and Money Order or Cashier’s Check. These methods of payment are quick to verify and you'll get your bass quicker. Upon verification of payment I'll head to the shipping store and get it on its way. I'll e-mail a scan of the shipping receipt with the tracking number on it. Once it is shipped I'm no longer responsible for the bass. Continental US Shipping ESTIMATES: UPS 2-day $180, UPS 3-day $140. Optional insurance is about $20 for its declared value.

About Me:
    I've prepared this lengthy posting because I've bought and sold basses over the internet and I know it's always a concern to make sure you're getting the real deal. You can check my online reputation as eBay member theaerokid and send me a message to verify that it’s me. Please ask any questions to check this out. Ask for more photos if you're seriously considering it. I'm willing to jump through a few hoops, within reason, to make sure you are buying with confidence. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    wow, looks like a great bass

3. apener

apener

Jan 25, 2008
    Hi,
    Wonderful bass, I hope the sale goes fast. If I had the cash I'd be all over it. The Recording link didn't work when I tried it, so check it out.
    and Bump
    Alon.

4. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Please finish this sentence:

I am stressed out with the suspense of not knowing why they chose poly.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    wow. you NEVER see these for sale. i just put a deposit down for a new bass last week...almost wish i had seen this first. someone is going to be very lucky to score this piece.

6. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    OMG...
    I recently played a Custom Shop Jaco model and I don't recall FB was coated... comments anyone :bag:

7. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone...

EduardoK: The fretboard on these has a polyester coating that doesn't really look very thick. I understand that the lots following this first lot were eventually coated in epoxy. I had to call Fender customer service and Chris at KDI to get the lowdown on this. It turns out even some of the advertisements and articles out there are wrong, so it's very difficult to tell. I've played the relic one at a shop and that one definitely has an epoxy coated fretboard. The only non-relic I've had in my hands is my own.

Anyways, thanks again for all the good feedback, and spread the word if anyone's looking for a rare piece like this.

Peace...

8. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Why is this still here?!?

9. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Good question. Where is the enthusiastic TalkBass crowd these days?

10. I would love to buy this, but my wife would kill me. Doesn't help that I just bought a completely new rig. That is a beautiful bass though, someone will grab it up.

11. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Bump for price drop.

12. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Heads up TalkBassers! Last price drop before pulling it from the market. You don't see a piece like this very often.

13. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    you sure no trades?

14. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hi guys. Thanks for the trade offers. I understand many of you out there wish you could ditch one of your pieces for this beauty. Since I'm thinning the herd, I'm not really interested in a trade.

I could be tempted with a Fender Power Jazz bass, but that retails at approx. $750, so the trade-in value in great condition would be around $500.

That's the only trade I'll consider at this time. If anyone has one in good shape and can come up with the rest of the cash, we can talk.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I am shocked this is still available. $2300 is a steal!

16. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hi Joel! Yup. I've had a few price drops on these already, which goes against the trend of basses going up in price these days. The Sting P-bass I just sold retailed for $650 back when I bought it (2004). It's now priced at $850.

This is the last price drop before I pull it from TalkBass and consider other options. Hope to hear from someone who wants to get this awesome piece. Cheers.

17. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    what's the newest drop?

18. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Bump for a terrific seller.

Still lovin' my "new" Sting. My other basses are jealous.

19. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Wow, that is soooo clean...

20. GAS-Xtreme

Apr 15, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks Mike! I've been missing that thing since I shipped it. It has such a sound. Glad you're enjoying it.

cosmicevan,
    I dropped the price from $2700 to $2500, and again to $2300.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.