1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Fender fretless '65 Jazz Reissue

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gruuv, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I've had this bass all of 3 weeks. It has absolutely amazing tone. Why sell, right? Well, periodically I have to buy unlined fretless basses to remind myself of why I don't buy unlined fretless basses. Any fretless journey upon which I embark requires a roadmap.

This bass started out as a regular 65 Noel Redding RI. Then, the fretted neck was replaced with a Warmoth maple / rosewood with an extended 22 position fingerboard. The rosewood (I believe it's Indian) is a very dark, rich, tightly grained red brown. It has been coated with epoxy resin (done correctly, cured for a looooong time to ensure evenness and hardness). It was then sent to George Furlanetto at F Bass and he marked the sides of the board as he does his fretless basses. I'd hoped that would be enough for me, but alas. . .

Here are the upgrades:

~ Lindy Fralin pickups
    ~ Schaller Tuners
    ~ Alder Body

Approximately 9 lbs weight, original tuners included

"It was completed about 6 years ago. This bass gets a really classic fretless sound. Very Jaco horn like timber. Action is low and the neck is flat and straight. Truss rod functions perfectly. She's a player fo sure that has just been sitting."

- As quoted from the original ad. I couldn't agree more. Honestly, my expectations were average to low for this bass given the price, etc... Well, the tone and playability of this thing are outstanding - the mwah factor is out of control!!! (Not literally of course, that would be useless - it's simply a figure of speech used to indicate a superior quality... :p)

** Addendum: I like my action low - like, LOOOOOW and this is that, with room to drop even further. :bassist: Additionally, I'd be tempted to keep it even though it is unlined, just because it sounds so stinking good - but I found one, nearly identical with a lined board that I can't pass up.

$600 shipped in an ultralight case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Cool. Could you let me know what F bass charged for the side markings. I'd liek to do that with my blank Roscoe 6er.

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I'll have to check and send you a PM!

4. tonegiant

tonegiant

Apr 9, 2007
    PM sent

5. Luke i am your father.....

This was my bass. George was doing some other work for me om my AC5 and i threw this neck it the box to him at the last minuite. It was kind of a one off job that he did for me. I believe the cost was $250. That was quite a while ago so YMMV......

6. gruuv..sorry to hear you have to turn the bass....but you can do it man. Its all position, muscle memory, and ear. You don't need no stinkin lines!! Just woodshed modal scales and it will happen.

Anyway good luck man!

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

8. +1 Gruuv

9. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Pm atcha, Gruuv.

10. swpyne