1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Fender Jazz Bass w/ 1/4 pounders

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by herndonbassist, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    MIM Body w/ MIJ Neck - $475 shipped (conus)

I purchased this bass on eBay about 2 weeks ago as a Mint condition mid-90s MIJ bass with a brand new Badass II bridge and a brand new set of Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders. After checking the bass out for playability and such, I left the seller positive feedback (I'm a nice guy and like to do so quickly). I then proceeded to remove the pickguard to install the brand new tort. guard that I had purchased and noticed that there was a HUGE route from the pickup to the control cavity (indicating that it was a MIM body). I contacted the seller, and indeed this is a brand new (probably a year or 2 old NOS MIM body) that he assembled with an older MIJ (verified that it is 92-93) neck that he bought off eBay. He then told me to deal with it, that I had gotten a good deal anyway. He mentioned in his emails to me that all of the work was done by a professional luthier, but take that for what its worth.

I will NOT be keeping this bass, not because it isn't good, but because I am completely sour to it, due to the lying seller who is now no longer responding to my emails. I would love to sell it completely (as I am listing it here), but I will probably part it out (if it doesn't move quickly) after I give up on the PayPal dispute. I am sure that the seller is not going to refund my money, and has probably cleared out his account, so there will be nothing left for me.

All that being said, this is a great playing , looking and sounding bass as it currently is. I took the bass apart and ensured that the neck (which was slightly shaved to fit in the neck pocket) is seated properly (its not a perfect pocket fit, but very good), and it will be a great player for someone. The pickups and bridge are as he stated, so those are very good, and again what could be considered mint. I would assume that the pots and tuners are MIM, because I am guessing (only a guess) that what he actually did was take a new MIM and swap out some new parts to make this bass. I am including the original white pickguard that is shown as well as my brand new tort. pickguard that I purchased. I also have a black pickguard that you may have INSTEAD of the tort if that's what you prefer. The pictures are from the original listing, as the bass is all boxed up ready to ship, if you HAVE to have a more detailed image, I can provide them with a little bit of time.

The bass is all packed up in anticipation of the seller actually following through with the Paypal refund, but that's already been 2 weeks, so its not likely. If the bass sells here, I plan to contact him and let him know that I am dropping this, so there's no chance that I am going to pull this listing because of something that happens on his end. I know that I am not going to get my money back, I am just trying to get what I think is a fair price for the bass in its current state. Feel free to make me an offer, I can always say no, I will also consider trades, but I'd rather have the cash.

Thanks for looking, feel free to PM me for more info. - If you are interested in any of the parts on this bass let me know. I am most likely to sell off the neck, tuners, bridge and pickups and then build this out as a beater.

Attached Files:

2. That sucks, sorry to hear of your sour deal. Wish I could scratch the money up for you. Free Bump anyway for a good looking Jazzenstien.

Zilla

3. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    ok, there's some curiosity about the logo on the neck. i don't know what the MIJ necks had on them in the early '90s (the s/n at the base of the neck indicates MIJ 92-93) but it's possible that the logo was swapped off as well. here are more of the original pics

thanks!

Attached Files:

4. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Don't give up too quickly on the PayPal recovery. I waited over a month recently. A seller sold me a J-Retro that was supposedly 'As New'. It wasn't. I tried reasoning with him. He screwed me around. I filed a claim with PayPal. They hashed it out. They requested extra information from me regarding the deal after a month had passed from the original claim. At that time, I wrote the BEST e-mail of my life explaining the situation as if I were speaking to someone who had no idea what a J-Retro is or does. I did so without passing judgement against the seller or his ancestors. I did so in a completely factual manner that allowed PayPal to understand the complete situation. It worked. I got 100% of my money back. Be patient. Don't be pushy. If you have a legitimate claim, you will prevail. In the mean time, don't even think about putting so much as a fingerprint on that guitar.

5. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Logo is a '70s Jazz decal... this bass has a Geddy neck on it ('70s decal)

[​IMG]

This bass is MIJ from the same time period (1994) and it has a different decal:

0399_12_sb.jpg

6. Tomis17

Tomis17 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Tell me his username, real name, and address. I have no patience for such crooks. If I see him around I will personally spank him for you. Grrrr!!! :mad: good luck on your sale though.

7. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    just what i need condescending schooling from a 17 year old...

um, thanks i guess, i know that Fender Japan has used MANY logos during different times. i have owned a few MIJ basses of different vintages and none of them have looked like that second image.

i already stated that the logo was likely swapped, but due to the fact that i don't know all of the circumstances, i can't say one way or the other.

:bawl:

8. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Sorry to hear about it. It is a ridiculous scam. It's not like there is a huge price difference between a MIM and a MIJ body. Its not worth such a small sum just to be an ass IMO.

9. wow...i just need to wait 2 more weeks on this thing so i can buy it haha

10. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Thanks for that.... from the various emails that I've gotten from this Yutz (went back and read them last night) it seems as tho he purchased a brand new / NOS fretless bass and then swapped out the neck, pickups, and bridge. He did admit to that at one point, but still asserted the whole time that it was a essentially a brand new MIJ bass. :scowl:

I won't go on because I am going to wind up on an incoherent rant...

11. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    sold to rollo47! - shipping it out in the morning

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.