1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Fender Precison Bass - '51 Reissue

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Supertanker, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Also known as a "Sting" bass.

I bought the bass because it has history.

My goal was to keep it as a collectable although I do enjoy playing it.

It has become my scale bass, because its so easy to play and sounds so good acoustically I run my scales on it.

Here's the story in the words of the previous owner:

"This is a Fender Sting Precision that has been refinished. Stripping one of the modern Fender polyester finishes is a real labor of love! That stuff is about a quarter inch thick and about bulletproof. Removing all that really opens up the tone though. Once stripped, the bass was finished with a stain similar in color to the original Fender basses, and then given a hand-rubbed tung oil topcoat. The resulting bass has a real vintage look and feel. The body is very resonant; kinda quivers against your chest when you play it, like the old ones do. I sent the neck out to luthier Michael Dolan and had the dreaded 12th fret "Stinglay" replaced with simple black celluloid. The pickup is the original, because they sound great, with a high-quality custom wiring harness by Bayou Cables. The bridge is the Fender Deluxe style in order to provide intonation for individual strings, but the orignal will ship along with the bass should you want to go back to the two-saddle type.

There are a few old holes on the body where a former owner had installed a thumbrest. They could easily be filled with wood putty but frankly I never got around to it. The neck has that great chunky feel the Stings are known for. Frets are very good, having only been used with flatwounds. The bass weighs about 8.5 lbs on my postal scale and is nicely balanced (easy on the shoulder). Of course the Sting model has the contoured body, so you get that great SCPB (single coil) sound without having to deal with the slab body. So, just a fun bass to play and the price is right."

I can attest that every word he says is true. This is a great sounding acoustic bass and of course that translates once it's plugged in. I kept flatwounds on it.

Truth be told this is probably my favorite bass of all time.

But gas has got a hold of me. I need to raise cash to pay for a inbound bass.

Functionally the bass is perfect. Sonically it sounds better than any '51 re-issue I've played.
    It's Crafted in Japan and built like a tank.
    Includes the white pickguard that came with it.

So there you have it.

$475.00 shipped Paypal...

IMG_2552.

IMG_2556.

IMG_2548.

IMG_2550.

IMG_2555.

2. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Bump!

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    pmed

4. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Sale Pending...

5. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Thanks Relic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.