1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Fender Roscoe Beck V.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by WillieB, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Great bass in great condition. sunburst w/tort guard and pao ferro fingerboard. Some pickguard marks/swirls otherwise
    new condition. 10lbs 7oz. Hardshell case.

SN795 is the first part of the serial making it a 97.

[DEL]$1400.00[/DEL] shipped conus only paypal.

$1300.00

2. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    more pics

3. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    and ....

4. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Very nice!!!

5. That's the good stuff right there!

6. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Man, if this was shoreline gold I'd be heading up I-71 now!

7. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Really tempting, been gassing for one of these for some time. Any interest in a partial trade? 76-P-Bass natural road worn and some cash?

8. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    hey rock .... love P-basses ... I have 78 P natural so probably not ... but pm me or post the pics.

thanks

9. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    bump

10. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    back photos

11. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    and

12. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Monday price drop bump.

$1300.00

13. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
  14. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    bump

15. 1Drop

1Drop

Jul 31, 2009
    I've always wanted one of these...My problem is the string spacing, I assume they are 19mm, correct?

16. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I believe they are but I will confirm.

17. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    1drop .... its not in here that I saw ... just some good info on the bass from bass player review.

Besides a platinum record, a fast car, and a big house, one of the highest levels of success a musician can achieve is a "signature series" instrument made to his or her specifications. One player that deserves such an instrument is monster bassist Roscoe Beck: his deft lines can be heard supporting guitar greats Eric Johnson and Robben Ford. Well, his namesake axe is finally here: the Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 5-string combines the best of early J-Bass sounds—even from its tight-sounding B string. In fact, the RB bass is one of the finest 5's under $1,500 we've played. Here's why.
    The key feature of the Fender is its electronics. Sure, all of those switches and knobs look confusing—but they're quite easy to operate. The bass uses two Texas-size, dual-coil humbucking pickups, each of which can be run in single-, series-, or parallel-coil wiring modes. Two small DPDT (double pole, double throw) on/on/on switches control the modes: "up" is parallel, "center" is single-coil, and "down" is series. Since Roscoe is a fan of early J-Basses, the pickups' back coils are placed in exact Jazz-pickup position.

Another important element of the instrument's fat-and-round sound is the pickups' alnico "Tri-Pole" magnet configuration. Although the pickups appear to have 12 polepieces each, there are actually 22, as each string has two dedicated magnets directly below it, located underneath the pickups' covers. Fender says this arrangement reduces the "double-beating effect" for better intonation past the 12th fret, because the magnets have a softer magnetic pull, especially on the B and E strings. It works, as the bass has a very clean and stable sound in the upper positions, even along the B.

A 3-way pickup-selector switch toggles between bridge, bridge + neck, and neck pickups. The instrument's master volume control has a smooth taper and feel; also, pulling up on the master tone control engages a resistor that slightly lowers the output of the neck pickup. Why? Since the bass doesn't have a blend pot or individual pickup-volume controls, it's impossible to get any "in between" tones besides those offered by the 3-way switch. So, by reducing the output of the neck pickup a hair, the bass can also produce a classic J growl.

Onboard EQ? Not here—the electronics are all passive. However, thanks to the powerful, full sound of the Dual J-Bass humbuckers, not much tone sculpting from the amp is required under normal situations. With both pickups set to single-coil mode, the bass produces an authentic J-Bass tone across the entire instrument. The pickups also possess the crisp, organic quality of a good single coil—but yes, they do hum. (Although the hum is canceled when both pickups are selected.) Switching the pickups to parallel gives the instrument a more modern sound: a sharper attack with slightly less mids. (This is the setting for slappers.) In many ways, parallel mode sounds a lot like a single-coil pickup, but since there are two coils operating, there's a more powerful tone without the 60-cycle hum.

Series is the setting to select if you really want some punch: in this mode, the pickup's coils are configured like a standard humbucker, which has more output, bottom, and midrange, with a warmer high end. Our favorite combinations? Of course, the classic warmth of both pickups run as single coils is cool—but setting the bridge to series (for punch and beef) with the neck set to parallel (adding extra focus to the lows) makes for a massive tone indeed. And we love the sound of the bridge soloed in series. (Beaucoups balls.)

Enough wire talk…let's talk craftsmanship. The J-shaped body is made of two pieces of alder. (This is the same type of timber used in early J-Basses.) The body of the test bass was fairly lightweight, but the mass of the Gotoh bridge (which can be strung through the bridge or through the body) adds weight. To keep the overall weight down, the Fender sports Hipshot Ultralite tuners on its 4+1 headstock.

Two graphite bars reinforce a one-piece flatsawn maple neck: each bar is imbedded in the neck underneath a pau ferro fingerboard. To our ears, this African hardwood combines the snap of maple with the warmth of rosewood. Pau ferro is also nearly twice as dense as typical rock maple, so it adds stiffness to the neck, which is especially critical for a good B-string sound. The fingerboard holds 22 tall jumbo frets, all properly leveled and dressed on the test bass; in fact, our tester had some of the nicest fretwork we've seen in this price range. (The profile of the nut was a little high on the E through G strings, though.) Since the instrument has traditional dimensions and string spacing, however, that big, thick neck can take its toll on your fretting hand; combined with the test instrument's medium setup, I found my wrist a big sore after playing for only 30 minutes. (That glossy finish on the back of the neck doesn't help, either.) You'll have to fondle the neck for yourself to decide if the bass fits you.

We were surprised, however, by the "togetherness" of the B string, especially since the bass has a 34" scale. (We strung up with LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels gauged .045—.128, with the strings running through the bridge.) I personally prefer a 35" scale length for the extra tension and more uniform tone from the B, but the Fender holds its own as is. Notes in the C to E range all have distinct, deep pitches—whether you're plucking, picking, or popping.

Curious to test the authenticity of the Beck bass's single-coil sound, we pulled out an old faithful: a 1965 Jazz. We then compared the '65 and the Roscoe bass in single-coil mode. The Beck bass had a lower output than the vintage J, and the test bass's high end wasn't as transparent. The Fender bass is capable of producing an even wider range of usable tones than some instruments fitted with onboard active EQ. Overall, the Roscoe Beck is the most versatile passive 5-string on the market today.

According to Fender, their design goal was "to develop a non-active 5-string that would capture the nuances of a '60s Jazz Bass." We think the company has achieved their objective, as the Fender Roscoe Beck is about as close to the "ultimate mid-priced 5-string" as it gets.

18. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    here ya go ...

Bass type 5 string fretted
    Neck join Bolt-On
    Neck construction One piece maple with graphite reinforcement
    Fingerboard Pau Ferro, 22 medium jumbo frets, 34" scale
    Body Select Alder, 2-piece
    Finish Polyurethane
    Pickups Bill Lawrence special design Alnico 'tri-pole' humbuckers
    Hardware Gotoh bridge, Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Electronics Passive: volume, tone, pickup selector, coil tap switches (see review for details)

Another somewhat unusual design feature of this bass is the fingerboard, which is wide and quite flat, unlike most Fenders. This bass has full 19mm string spacing at the bridge which, combined with the shape of the fingerboard makes the bass very easy to play. However it can take some getting used to, especially if you come from a Jazz bass background, so best to try before you buy.

As mentioned earlier, The RBV is a wonderfully versatile instrument, and the key to using it's versatility lies in understanding the controls. The included 'instruction sheet' is adequate for those who understand pickup terminology, but is not very accessible to the layman.

19. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    personally, I find a flatter radius neck is easier to play then narrower width. IMO. YMMV

20. 1Drop

1Drop

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks Willie! I'm tempted. I've been playing a 17mm warwick exclusively for over ten years now so I'm a little stuck in my narrow spacing ways....and I don't slap. How do you think the RBV would work for Reggae? Does it have that nice round low end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.