Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Flight Cases - Zon Sonus & NS Design

Discussion in 'For Sale: Strings and Accessories' started by Gard, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    CU EXCEPTION GRANTED BY BOARD MODERATOR

I have two very heavy-duty custom flight cases, one for a Zon Sonus, one for an NS Design bass, both in very good condition, and VERY well made:

3/4" void-free marine grade plywood
    2 layers of fiberglass
    grey painted
    very form fit for the instruments in question (and the NS case is INFINITELY better than the one sold by the manufacturer!)
    large storage pockets in each
    piano hinges (single long hinge running the length of the case, much stronger than 4-5 seperate hinges)
    keyboard case style wheels (heavy-duty wheels at one end, heavy steel spring handle at the other)

Each retailed new at $600, I payed $400 for each, I will sell each seperately for $200, for the lucky person that wants both the pair for $350. Shipping TBD and added to price.

Cash-only sale.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Yo Gard,
    Is the foam glued in the ZON one? Got any dimensions? I am looking for an ATA for my Sadowsky RV5 and would be willing to do some modifications if necesarry. Let me know.

firkin

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Firk, it would be MAJOR surgery to redo the interior of this case, IMO. Not saying it _can't_ be done, but that it's not going to be a DIY situation, unless you're pretty handy with that sort of stuff. it's definitely glued in.

I'd give you dimensions, but I'm so freakin' sick with the flu (or some crud) that I can't get the case out of the closet right now. When I get back on my feet, I'll shoot you the dims.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    hello
    i'm interested in the ns case.
    so, some questions:
    do you know the weight?
    ....i ended up with the standard flight case for the ns cr5m i currently own (thanks to you when you were at bass central)
    and it barely makes the new 50lb. weight restrictions for flying.
    also, is it smaller width-wise?
    does it have a compartment for a bow as well as the stand?
    will it fit in the case in a soft bag?
    last, is it ata approved?(fully recessed clasps etc?)
    thanks!
    doug

oooooooo....wheels.......sweeeet....

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Doug -

Hey!

Unfortunately, you're #2 in line for that case, I've got another TBer waiting for pics. If he bails, it's available.

Answers:

Weight loaded with my NS CR5M: 80 lbs (sorry). The airline will take it, but charges a penalty for the excess weight.

Bigger than the NS case (but MUCH better, IMO).

Edit: No, the gigbag won't fit in the case, bummer. But the case is VERY FORM FIT, and protects the bass to the n'th degree.

Yes, there is a compartment for both bow & stand
    Fully ATA approved, also as close to bullet proof as any case I've ever seen! ;)

Let me know if you'll still be interested, I should have photos for the case tonight (if I can remember to bring my damn camera home at lunch!).

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    thanks gard,
    it looks like the weight might be a bit too much,
    but keep me posted if it's still available.
    wheels! that would be so nice....
    thanks!
    doug

7. Hey Gard,

I know this is a long shot given the age of the thread, but is the Zon case still around? And would it accomodate a 6?

Thanks