1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT 1974 Gibson Grabber

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by J Moe, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Moe

J Moe The Pursuit of Life Lived in The Pocket

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a very unique 1974 Gibson Grabber. I got this bass out in LA, and it allegedly belonged to Tom Petty's bass player, Howie Epstein. I have NO idea if it's true or not, but it is an amusing anectode! This workhorse had been converted to fretless, and the headstock and body were both stained black. A couple tuning keys were stuck, as were the bridge saddles. I then spent the next couple years (and a couple hundred more dollars than I care to remember) restoring it.

The Grabber has a full refin of the neck and body, including a new headstock logo. I has a refret with about 6 hours on the new frets. The neck is buffed to a nice satin feel - not sticky gloss, but not raw wood either. The nut is new, custom cut bone. The tuners are new Schaller keys. The bridge is a Fender American Standard bridge, and the bridge cover is also new. The wiring assembly was done by Emerson Custom Guitars, who also shielded the whole cavity and pickguard. This bass is as dead silent as a single coil can get! The body, neck, truss rod cover, neck plate, pickguard, pickup, knobs, and hardware are all original. Serial 396727.

Full photo album here: http://bit.ly/VJBAJz

Asking $1,000 obo plus split shipping. Packed professionally and shipped fully insured. Very interested in the following trades:

Lakland Skyline 5560 Custom
    Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 4
    Lakland US Bob Glaub (plus cash on my end)

IMG_1741_zps3c71f24e.jpg

IMG_1746_zps4533e150.jpg

IMG_1743_zps8abe1e96.jpg

IMG_1744_zpsea840138.jpg

2. I'm almost positive the grabber pickup is a humbucker. Looks like a killer grabber though.

3. J Moe

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    Good call, ElmRealmRider - definitely a humbucker!

4. J Moe

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    Bump for price drop. $900 shipped.

5. J Moe

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    Any takers at $800 before I go the ebay route?

6. Man, I would be all over this if I had some more cash in my Paypal account. Great looking bass, GLWTS.

7. If this is still here by taxes I'm on it!

8. J Moe

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    Sold, pending payment.

9. J Moe

Jan 20, 2012
    La Crosse, WI
    And sold! Thanks, h2blink.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.