1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: 1983 Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by herndonbassist, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FS/FT: 1992 Peavey Foundation - $200 shipped PayPal accepted

I picked this up a few months ago here (from Silky Smoove), and while this is an AWESOME bass, I really need to thin the herd. Since I picked it up, I added a Highway 1 Jazz (red) and a Reggie Hamilton sig (black) and with my Maple 75 RI, there's just no time for this great vintage bass.

I don't have too much to say about it other than; it's very light, has some SERIOUS thump, and has one of the fastest necks I've ever played. It's got new strings, the pots have been hooked back up with a new jack and it's been setup recently. The frets have also been polished.

The first picture is one I like to call "One of these is not like the other". For more pics, go to my photobucket page.Other than nicks and scratches (mostly light) it's in great shape for a 15 year old. For trades, anything that's NOT a bass will be considered (ok, I MIGHT consider another bass).

Thanks for looking,
    Robert

Attached Files:

2. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I might be interested in this, pending a review of some bills that have to get paid...

The pickups are the original Super-Ferrites, I take it? I really want a set of those...

I'll get back to you ASAP, I'm very interested.

3. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    The pickups ARE the original Super-Ferrites, that give some SERIOUSLY awesome sounds. I have owned 4 basses with these pickups and will more than likely own another at some point.... 6 basses is at least 3 more than I need right now!

4. ohhh the 80's... i miss em and i also dont.. free bump.. cool tb'er and a classic bass!

5. This actually looks like an early 90s Foundation based on the body shape, bridge and peghead. The 90s basses have slimmer bodies with more of a body contour and are considerably lighter than the 80s versions. It's got the Super-Ferrite pups, tho, and those are killer.

6. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Yeah, it's definitely not an '83 from what I see of it. It might be an '86 or '87 though. Peavey will tell you if you email them the serial number.

PM sent.

7. All of the USA-made Foundations with Super Ferrite pickups are quality instruments and incredible values, definitely worth having around as a player, especially if you like the Jazz tone and feel. The only way to know for sure when this was made is to check the serial number. Unfortunately I don't think the support forums at Peavey.com are around anymore. That's how I got the manufacture date for my 83, 87 and 90 Foundations. I do know that through most of the 80s (at least up through 87) they had wider, heavier bodies, a pointier, outlined headstock with the classic Peavey lightning bolt logo and a triangle-shaped string tree, and a heavier bridge with a flared base. Mid-late 80s basses also had different Schaller tuners (no cloverleaf). The early (83, 84) models had the classic die-cast metal knobs with the pointy P similar to all of the T model guitars and basses. I don't think Peavey abandoned the Super Ferrites until sometime in the 90s, so this could be from the late 80s. There was a period when they were transitioning to the new body/bridge/headstock/tuners but still had the Super Ferrites.

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If you email the serial number to customerservice@peavey.com someone will tell you when it was made. Now you can disregard my PM. :)

9. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Guys, thanks for the info, I'll be looking into this. I apologize if I misrepresented this to anyone, that certainly wasn't my intention. FWIW... the knobs were missing when I got it, so I put some knobs on it that I had lying around. I guess I forgot to mention that originally.

10. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Not a problem!

Let me know what you find out and we can take it from there...

11. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Nice pickup on the age!

Sorry for all of the confusion folks, I have been thoroughly schooled here on dating Peavey basses. I didn't realize that the clover leaf tuners came AFTER the sealed ones and that the script logo AFTER the outlined headstock. I guess thinking back to what my earlier Fury, Patriot, Foundations and T-40 looked like, it's starting to make more sense.

I am VERY sorry to anyone that I may have misled or somehow offended in this process. All that being said, it's still a killer vintage bass :D

Peace!

:bassist:

12. herndonbassist

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Pending trade deal with Quadzilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.