1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT 1987 G&L L2000 USA

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by knigel, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    1987 G & L L-2000. made in USA. You know, the great thing about talkbass is that if you are looking at the ad, you probably already know what it is. I mean, this is not CL--you buyers are super smart, smarter than me for sure.

[DEL]Let's say $900 shipped?
    [/DEL] [DEL]Okay, how about 850 shipped.[/DEL]

Okay, how about 750 plus shipping?

And if you are local, say from Portland ME to Brooklyn NY, we can work out a delivery deal. That's right, I will drive this bass from my house in Providence to Portland Maine to your house. Live in Falmouth? Too bad, we'll meet at the Nick! Orrrrrr all the way to Brooklyn NYC. Williamsburg. Live in New Jersey? Let's meet in Brooklyn! Live on Long Island? Let's meet in Brooklyn! Live in Manhattan? Ok, maybe I'll take the subway to Manhattan--from Brooklyn. Live in Wallingford, CT? I WILL DRIVE TO YOUR HOUSE! Burlington, MA? Portsmouth, NH? I WILL DELIVER TO YOUR HOUSE.

(or, if you think I'm kind of a nut job, we can meet in a well-lit, public place.)

I got this bass in a trade for a Fender V. I love it, but to be honest I like my P basses more (volume dimed, tone dimed, done) I don't know much about the history of G&L, but I am pretty sure that, according to the website, this is a 1987. The first owner was a country player, who gigged with it until he got another endorsement, and it sat in its case. He sold it to the next guy, who mainly played 5ers, and it also sat in its case. I got it from him, but I'm a terrible player with gigs in buckets-of-blood, so I mostly leave this guy home.

EDIT: I just took off the neck, and as El Tookay said, this may be an 1984. At least, the neck is stamped 1984. Will post pictures of the neck stamp tomorrow.

Solid ash body, rosewood fretboard, maple neck. Three bolt neck. Dual MDF humbuckers, electronics are active and work 100%. Some wear, but generally in 9 out of 10 condition. Monstrous resonant bridge. Best playing neck I have ever experienced, worn in perfectly. Incredibly versatile bass. Comes with a Fender hard case, which is missing a foot, but opens and closes perfectly.

Trade offers welcome, but I would prefer to do partial cash/bass trades. It would have to be a fretted 4 string. I'd like a hollow body, maybe something in the Ibanez family. I'm just going to be honest--I need 500 to pay my rent for June. I might be more flexible on the cash if you have an Epiphone Casady with a case. But feel free to bombard me with offers! Artcore maybe, or Eastwood, or whatever hollowbody you have. I'm unemployed and desperately lonely, so I crave the human contact (well, you know what I mean...)

I will be glad to send you more detailed pictures, and hopefully I'll post a few more when my camera charges. I'm fairly new to the tb marketplace here, but I have an unblemished ebay record (assface69--yep, that's really my handle).

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

2. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Your bass may be older than 1987, as it has all the features found on L-2000's from 1983 to early 1986- black crinkle top-loader plate and bridge, long truss rod bullet, original big knobs, no "by Leo Fender" decal on the headstock. The only way to tell is pop the neck, and check the body and neck dates.

Free Top-Loader BUMP!

3. wodock

wodock Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    PM'd with an offer

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    what's she weigh plz?
    nut width?
    original case?

5. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Hey Chef,

My bathroom scale says it weighs nine pounds, but it also says I weigh 280. I think it's off by 10 pounds at least, because I only weigh 260-270, so the bass must weigh nothing.

(9-10 pounds is my guess. Not as heavy as my old T40s for sure)

Nut is 1 5/8 (I KNEW someone would ask, but I was too lazy to get my tape yesterday!) and it is stamped "Number 3" on the heel--maybe that means something to someone?

It is a Fender Deluxe case, not original. Chainsaw style.

I will be posting more pics in a hour or so! Here is a link to the pics the guy I bought it from sent me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15386792@N02/sets/72157623724212627/

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    thx!

how do you know you were late for work tomorrow?
    ;)

7. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Here are some updated brandy new pictures.

Stamp on neck:

ry%3D400.

Glamour Shots:

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

Logo:

ry%3D400.

8. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    In the interest of full disclosure, there are some dings and blems to be aware of. But since this bass could rent a car for you (well, the neck could rent you a car anyway), and it was a pro bass for a while, it is still in good shape.

Knobs are worn:

ry%3D400.

There is a tiny ding on the front:

ry%3D400.

And weird checking on the back. I don't know what this is, as it seems under the finish, but it couldn't possibly be the wood because of the way the lines go. But the finish is smooth. I'm probably making this sound worse than it is, but I want you all to be aware of it. You can hardly see it, but the camera picked it up perfectly (head smack!):

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

These kinds of things don't bother me, but the do some people so there it is. Also, there is a small dent on the neck on the back, at the 9th fret or so. Actually, the neck looks really dirty, but it is so smooth and fast that I just love it. Maybe a previous owner sanded the gloss off, and it is 26 years of hand sweat? Anyway, I love how the neck feels and plays.

ry%3D400.

I know I'm making it sound worse than it is, but I just want to be totally up front and honest.

9. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    How about a bump because I broke my toe taking pictures the other day. Literally a bloody mess. Don't ask me how I did it.

Anyone want pics of my toe? The skin fell off, and now my baby toe looks like an olive without a pimento.

10. mine was an 87 but I had all the features like this L2000. The only differences were mine was blue and had a maple neck. I also had Leo's signature on the headstock. I miss that bass.

11. seventhsunbass

seventhsunbass Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Maryland
  12. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Thanks anyway SSB, but those modern-looking basses aren't really my style! I'm sure it's a great player though! Really holding out for a hollowbody of some kind.

Thanks for the offer!

(Remember, I bumped my toe, not my head ha ha)

(because that's what you said in your post...about the head-hitting...anyway)

13. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Here are some more pictures! Enjoy!

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

14. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Back in the 80's I played one just like this at the local music store. But, at the time, I was in college... and didn't have the dough. 20 years later, I'm back in college again (career change), I'm still gassin' for one... and I still don't have the dough!

I did snag a G&L MFD pickup (SB-1 split-p style) on eBay that I'm going to drop into one of my P-Basses... so at least I'll get a taste of the G&L secret sauce.

Someday I'll own the real deal and cure 20 years of gas-tro-in-test-inal-bass-distress:crying:

15. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    It's such a glorious day in Providence for an unemployed bum, I thought I would take and post some more pictures! Fie on applying for jobs and mailing resumes!

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

Look at that grain. It's so much grain it could be Kansas.

ry%3D400.

ry%3D400.

Please see all the pictures here, on my shutterfly account!

[DEL]http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=0ddd737503c8150c6cbbd47cbb382743[/DEL] Don't go here it is wrong.

16. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    And you know what? Monday price drop! Hooray!

Really holding out for a hollowbody bass and case, plus some cash. Yes, Ibanez Artcore. Yes, Eastwood. Got a Vox Cougar Sidewinder? Straight up trade, and I will give you a big old wet kiss (wet kiss is optional). Epiphone? Heck yeah.

But I will take offers on anything! Let me know and thanks for looking!

At least make a comment about how my photography skillz are improving!

17. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    It looks like your L-2000 is getting pictures taken for an online personal ad.
    "This is my rugged outdoorsy side and this is my sensitive sidt'sUt's raining the next 3 days so I can't take outside pics of anything.
    Good weather good photography
    I kinda wanna change my avatar from spider man to the headstock in the flowers pic.
    "Bump"

18. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Ha ha ha!

Go ahead and steal it--better yet, but it and take some of your own!

Oh, and I had the website wrong, it's

http://affordablevintage.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Affordable Vintage is not my company, it's a blog I'm working on about some of the vintage guitars I have owned the past couple of years--22 guitars and 17 basses (and, according to one thread going, that's not even a lot!). Key is, they cost less than 400.

(not the G&L though, that was a trade for my bought-new-in-1997 MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V, so it doesn't qualify).

19. Does this one need the preamp chip update to work on some wireless systems ?
    I had to update mine back in the early to mid '90's IIRC because it would not work w the Samson wireless I had at the time. I called and spoke w Steve (Technician) at G&L and he sent the chip for free - wow gr8 people at G&L always wanting to earn your business.

20. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Wow, I just read your post and it sounded like "bleep blip blip bloop bleep" in my head ha ha....

Kidding of course. But if I had to guess, I would say that mod has not been done. It's possible, because the original owner was a touring bass player (or so I was told), but I'm going to err on the side of caution and say it has not been done, and since I've never been on a stage big enough to exhaust my ten foot cable, let alone need a wireless...

Thanks for the info though. I didn't know that was a potential issue, but there you have it people--the straight dope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.