1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT 1996 Warwick Fortress Masterman Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Justyn, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm on the fence about this one. I got this bass from Christian McBride and it has tremendous sentimental value, so I reserve the right to come to my senses at any time and pull it off the market, but currently it's just not seeing much playing time, so let's see what happens.

For sale, one 1996 Warwick Fortress Masterman, or at least I believe it's a Masterman. The specs match up, but the insert on the truss rod cover just says 'Fortress One.' I haven't seen an F1 with the twin-J pickup configuration, so I'm sticking with Masterman for now.

- Body: Maple (w/ a subtle flame)
    - Neck: Bolt-on, wenge neck w/ ebony fingerboard.
    - Hipshot Warwick-specific Xtender (compensates for the angled placement of the Warwick tuners so the lever doesn't smack the tuner next to it)
    - The controls are three stacked pots in the following configuration:
    - volume / blend
    - treble / bass front pickup
    - treble bass back pickup
    (yes, it's a little odd to have so much control over to pickups that are right next to each other but they sound surprisingly different, so it's quite a useful preamp config.)

I go back and forth between roundwounds and tapewounds so there's a bit of wear on the board from nickel rounds, but nothing serious and certainly nothing that affects playability.

The body has a few dings, but nothing major. There's a bit of discoloration right by the front (neck side) of the pickup where *someone* anchored his thumb, which I suppose could be sanded out.

I'm asking $1000.

Not particularly interested in trades, though I could use a good small ultralight cab. I'd also like to try a Schroeder or Accugroove cab. Small lightweight heads are always a plus.

I'm also looking for some effects, most notably:

- Fodera or Sadowsky preamp pedal
    - Aguilar Tone Hammer
    - Tech 21 VT Bass
    - Demeter Compulator
    - Boomerang Phrase Sampler (or other looper)
    - Bass Whammy

Thanks for looking. Don't hesitate to hit me up with any questions. I don't have a case for this one and I think my gigbag will be going with my other Warwick, but we'll figure something out.

J.

Attached Files:

2. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    More pics.

Attached Files:

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've seen several Mastermans with Fortress One truss rod covers. I'm guessing they just forgot to order enough TRC's that said "Masterman".

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Bump for a nice bass at a fair price.

5. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump!

6. I've actually never seen a Masterman that DIDN'T have a Fortress One trussrod cover...

this bass looks lovely. The price is appealing - it is a rarity.

The Fortress body shape is probably the most balanced Warwick design ever and this gem has the wenge neck, brass nut... the stuff you WANT, the stuff that made Warwick famous

[/free plug]

7. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump!

8. PM Sent.:cool:

9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    PM Sent