1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: 1997 Fender Jaco Pastorius American Reissue Jazz fretted G&G black tolex OHSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by toniwonkanobi, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing 1964 Ears, LLC.
    I am looking to trade or sell my Jaco (fretted) jazz bass for a Sadowsky (Metro) RV5 in Olympic White (no other colors/woods desired). It doesn't matter if it has VTC -- I can add that easily. I don't need a case either, but will take it if it is for free.

Outright sale: [DEL]$1400 shipped[/DEL] $1300 shipped USPS money order (or
    trade for Sadowsky RV5 plus cash on my end).

[Please do not PM me about ANY other trades. I'm serious! I don't want anything else. Not your random MusicMac Bongo, and not your Demeter preamp! I'm sure it's the cat's meow to you, but I simply do not want anything else besides the aforementioned Sadowsky. Sorry to be so jerkish about it, but I get 50+ PMs about the most random crap every time I add "FT" to the thread's title -- it's like people see the "FT" thing and then riffle through their gear to see what they don't want, in the hopes that the OP will take that random mess as payment? What the heck broski??]

Weight is 9.2 lbs on my bathroom scale

History
    I bought this bass about 5 months ago from the original owner, who purchased it in 1997 and gigged it as his primary bass for 14 years! The Jaco Reissues came out that year (I think) and were offered in fretless and fretted version. This is the fretted version. It is essentially the same as any other "reissue" (/"American Series", "American Vintage") Jazz, except that this one has a special "Jaco" neck plate and a black tolex G&G OHSC. That and the Jaco reissues have the VVT control setup as stock, as Jaco did on his own '62 Jazz.

Condition
    Plenty of mojo on the puppy. But it is not a "relic" bass, that is for sure! As the pictures will show, there are some dings on the bass here and there, and the metal hardware has acquired a nice patina to it. Also, the back of the neck has been completely worn through to the wood. It has a VERY fast feel! It's better than satin poly or satin nitro for sure. All the vintage-ing/mojo is 100% true to life wear -- this is NOT a relic job!

All of the electronics are scratch free and I have not had to mess with any of it.

Currently has 105-45 DR Lo-Rider Nickel rounds that are about 50% dead. I like a little thump, so I haven't soaked them in EtOH yet, and probably won't unless I have another gig with this bass.

Playability/Tone
    The action is setup low-medium. Not super low, but if you dig in really hard of course you can make it buzz. I play with a pretty light touch so I don't really dig in. Tone wise it sounds like a vintage Jazz bass! ha! There is not much more one can say about that. I do believe the wood combo/age of the wood helps out too.

Includes
    The bass and the original G&G black tolex HSC, and the original Pickguard. *Note that all of the pictures have a custom Pickguardian guard that Tony made me installed. I wanted a more "red" guard than what Fender has been issuing in the past 20 years, and the Pickguardian one is the closest I've seen to 60's Fender nitro tort. It will be for sale separately, but we can always work something out if you want both guards or just one or the other.

Pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a non-flash pic of the two pickguards together. You can see how much more red the Pickguardian one is than the Fender 'brown' guard.
    [​IMG]

And here is a flash version of the above shot.
    [​IMG]

The original owner did not have the keys to the case, so I certainly can't include them in this sale! :(
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Again, please do not PM me about any other trades besides a Sadowsky RV5 in oly white. About once a week a stupid person PMs me with trade bait that is not a Sadowsky RV5 in oly white.

This is a great bass that needs a good home!

3. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    A "I get crazy trade offers as well" free bump. I have the fretless version and they are nice bass for sure.

4. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm always open to listening to trade offers, because some actually do work out in my favor from time to time. But yes, I will get someone offering me a Cort 6 string fretless and a Crate combo for my vintage Fender :rolleyes:

5. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    It just amazes me that despite a blued, italicized, and bolded paragraph at the beginning of the first post clearly indicating my trade preferences, people still miss that. I think I need to make the text bigger. Maybe I will!

6. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Man, cool bass. I used to have the exact bass you're looking for. And I totally would've traded because your bass rocks.

Trade for a Boss Multi-Effects and Cort Gene Simmons bass instead? ;) Hehe.

I'm sure something will come along soon enough!

7. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Rough! You're local too, at least you are now it seems :) Seems RV5's in oly white are fairly common around the classifieds here -- about one every couple months. So hopefully it's not too much longer!

Thanks for checking in :)

8. Would you take a Hondo Explorer?

9. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    :eyebrow:

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Wow ... If I had what you wanted and wanted that bass not sure I'd do business with that attitude. Mellow out, man.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Once a WEEK? Doesn't sound like that much.

By the way, sweet bass.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The guy knows what he wants. I can empathize with his frustrations.

13. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Agreed ... just sounds kinda jerky. Part of posting on TB Classifieds ...

14. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks it's a good bass! BTW, 50+/week is a lot. Sure, i'm exaggerating a bit, but why would I want to spend time sifting through talkbass private messages concerning trade offers that i am clearly not interested in?

Yea buddy!

It really does not *need* to be part of the "posting on TB Classifieds," but stupid people make it that way. I am just trying to avoid that.

And for the last time, I am sorry that I could not accept your MusicMan Bongo HH 5 string as a trade!

15. shame you don't want a 55-94. This thing is gorgeous! :) glws

16. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Ha thanks man, I love a Lakland as much as any other guy, just need to quench the Sadowsky thirst right now!

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    is that FB rosewood or pau ferro? my fretless Jaco was pau.

18. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Indian rosewood

19. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    I would take $1300 shipped if payment was made via USPS money order! Just trying to move this along :) The ebay price is about $200 more than this new TB-only price drop (just to cover fees and such). Might even go lower... PM me!

It needs a good home (and I need a new bass). =)

20. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Holy back of neck mojo!
    Cool bass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.