1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: 2002 Fbass AC5 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ted burik, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ted burik

ted burik Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    SOLD: 2002 Fbass Alain Caron 5 string fretless.

Up for sale or trade is my Fbass AC5 fretless. The "king of the fretless" bass-this instrument has a warm and complex modern fretless tone and incredible versatility via its piezo and magnetic pickups. The mag pickup is also configured for hum-cancelling or single coil operation. This bass has been played over the years and has player wear on the pickup cover and top-all are cosmetic and don't affect playability. I recently had Gary Brawer professionally repair the front chip and add/enlarge fret dots on the neck side and fingerboard. I purchased the bass on TB about a year ago. Selling because I mostly use my Rob Allen fretless and to hopefully acquire an high end six string.

SOUND CLIP

Specs:

Nut Width: 45mm (1 3/4")
    Width at Last Fret: 80mm (3 1/8")
    Fingerboard Radius: 10" - 16"
    Scale Length: 34.5"
    Number of Frets: 28
    String Spacing at Bridge: 19mm (3/4")
    Weight: approximately 9.5 lbs.
    Neck Wood: 3 piece quarter-sawn maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Gabon Ebony (Black)
    Body Wood: Figured Maple/Spruce Top
    Tuners: Black Gotoh tuners with 20:1 ratio
    Bridge: Handmade Gabon Ebony
    Knobs: Handmade African Blackwood
    Pickups: RMC piezo pickups in the saddle & an F Bass stacked, single coil/hum-cancelling, magnetic pickup in the bridge position

TRADES: The only trades I'm considering are an MTD 635-24, F bass BN6, high end Ken Smith 6 string (neck through only), and possibly an MTD 535-24. Cash +/- depending on trade.

Bass is priced to sell at $2500 shipped CONUS. PayPal only. Send PM with any questions or trade offers. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. ted burik

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    More pics of the back and the added fret dots on the fingerboard.

Attached Files:

3. ted burik

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    Pictures showing the top wear and tear and side fret dot enlargement.

Attached Files:

4. ted burik

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    Several very interesting trade offers coming in-this beauty is still available.

5. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Looks rather road worn, even the fret board showing signs that someone put round wounds on it. I would consider it as I'm in the market for a nice 5 or 6 fretless but I would want to send this back to George for an overhaul and fresh up. If your interested in a cash sale at a more aggressive price just PM me. Rich

6. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Wait, looking at the picture of the side dot's I don't follow what you did. It has both dots and line, looks like it was a fretted to fretless conversion but I doubt that in such it's an AC.

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    2500 seems pretty aggressively priced for an ac, to me anyways. For that price, you could buy it, ship it to george for a freshen up, and have a killin ac for a very good deal.

8. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Just emailed George to see what he would charge me for an oil change and a tune up ...!

9. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree, this is a great price and someone is going to snap it up pretty quick.

10. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    I really can't disagree at all but I'm one of those players that really likes his basses to look great as well as feel and sound great. There are a lot of good quality fretless basses out there in the 3K range and I need to consider what George will charge me to make it look as I would like it to.

11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    That makes sense, I too would have a hard time dropping that much coin for a bass with cosmetic or minor playability issues. But stepping back, in terms of what it costs to get into an ac, at the end of the day it's a bargain for sure!

Not to mention.... as an owner, i can say that my ac is just a fabulous bass in every sense. They are truly pieces of art that sound and play ridiculously well.

12. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    George just got me a price so I know where I stand now, PM next....!

13. ted burik

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    OK everybody, just got back and had a chance to read all the posts. Here is the story on the bass: After purchasing the bass from TB'er Kevin Woods in November 2010, I had Gary Brawer's shop in SF do about $500 worth of work installing larger fret dots on the side of the fingerboard, new fret dots on the fretboard up to the 12th fret and larger fret dots on the G string where normal fret dots are (G, Bb, C, D, E, G, etc.). Within my budget, he also refinished some of the wear on the top and pickup cover, and nearly completely filled the indent on the top. ALL of the work was completely discretionary on my part and in no way was required for playability of the instrument. I've added a link to the original post for a sound clip of the bass from before I bought it to provide a sense of how great this bass sounds. Any additional work the next owner feels he/she would need to have George do would also be discretionary IMO. And BTW, this is without a doubt an AC fretless 5, all AC fretless basses come with side lines and fret dots. Please PM me with any additional questions. Thanks for looking!

14. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Ted you have a PM waiting....

15. ted burik

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    One last note: I'm pretty sure the only strings that will work on a AC fretless are George's tapered round wounds. I called him several months ago and asked if he had any nylon strings (e.g., La Bellas) that might work, and he said I'd have to machine the nut string spacing to accommodate the larger nylon strings. I didn't want to do that so I just kept the Fbass round wound taper core strings on the bass. Pretty standard fare on these type of modern fretless basses, and these type of strings do normally work their way into the fretboard.

16. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Gauge at the nut notwithstanding, it IS possible to use other strings on the ac basses. It does raise the action a bit at the bridge due to the contact point changing from the middle of the string to the bottom, but unless you're a super low Action nut, it's reasonable. I know at least one guy who uses TI jazz flats on his ac and the sound lips sounded fab. Just FYI, IIRC

17. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    I think this bass may just be sold, not sure but I think so....

18. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    I will address that issue with George and it was in my mind to do so. I just cant play a fretless without flats, sorry....

19. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Just using the flats as an example of the range/variety of whats usable with these basses. In terms of roundwounds, unless you use extra heavy strings, i think you're golden. Either way, best to get it from the horses mouth!

20. Any interest in a 535-24 fret less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.