1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/FT 2012 Ruby Red Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by willsellout, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Alright so this one is back on the market after some reworking. I had this listed a while back, it was sold, and then I found out about an issue in the nut when I went to remove it and refunded the buyers money. I knew it was going to take a while to get right. Because of the issues, I'm listing it at 1350.00 shipped.

The drama:
    When I removed the nut, there were a couple paint chips that came with it; on either side of the nut. They are small and don't affect playability, but they are there. What I think happened, was Ric painted the bass and didn't let the it cure enough and they slapped the nut on. Not only did they do that, but I don't see how they could have not known the nut wasn't seated properly. The slot was uneven and sloppy and instead of fixing it, they threw a bunch of glue all over to cover it up:rollno:

Once I cleaned out the nut slot, I took it to Matt at Cascade Guitars to fit a nut proper. He did a great job and it's playing better than ever. When this bass arrived in my hands I was really kind of underwhelmed with the tone. It didn't sing like other Ric's I've owned and it's apparent to me that the nut was the culprit. I guess when you decide to glue the nut to the side of the fretboard rather than the neck, the tone suffers....who would have guessed? ;)

Acoustically, the bass is singing, and plugged in, the sustain is what I've come to expect from a Ric. It's awesome, but still not conducive to my playing. Action is set to medium low action with zero buzz with the original strings. The bass is back to stock with a couple exceptions: This bass has had the pickup and electronics cavities shielded, the frets have been leveled and crowned, and there us a trebel bezel installed.

Comes with case candy and OHSC. I'll put some pics of everything here shortly, but here are a couple starters:
    2012-12-14141739_zps991d7535.
    RickenbackerFront_zpsd85415fc.
    RickenbackerHeadstock_zps4957f88e.

2. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Here is the nut slot as I found it when I removed the old nut. this also shows the chip in the paint on the bass side:

2013-02-24125016_zpsdaedd3c3.

And here is the new nut and the small chip on the treble side of the fretboard.

2013-03-13172839_zps37d24c3a.

3. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Smokin' deal. Posted this on the RRF. Good luck!

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I still want this, but I just got a blue Rick!
    farts. some great prices rics on here. I could get yours and eagle moons maple glow and I could have AMERICA!

5. What are you looking for in a trade?

6. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am a big fan of G&L basses and GK amps, specifically an MB800 or MB Fusion. Id love to grab an L1000 or L2000 or a Roscoe Beck in trade. Some of those would be plus cash. Im open to 4 and 5 strings. I could theoretically add cash to something but it would have to be something I couldn't live without.

7. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Hot damn, this is a good deal! Ugh, why oh why do these awesome deals show up when I can't have them haha

8. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Local deal possible tomorrow afternoon, FYI.

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    Imma gonna bust yer chops on this one...

If you're gonna buy a bass to sell it later, then yeah... But if you're gonna buy a bass to play the living daylights out of it - like a bass *should* be played, then all you've done is improve an instrument that was FUBAR'd when it was sent to you.

This is a great bass - only made better! And that is that!!!

10. chechunka

chechunka Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2009
    PM sent.

11. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great bass I also have a 2012 4003 and love it.
    Sounds like total disclosure and kudos to willsellout ! Good luck with sale. This should not last long!

12. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    The newer ones are great and the price for this one especially with the extras, is UNREAL..:bassist:

GLWTS

13. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    And this one is sold locally. Thanks for the interest and the extremely tempting trade offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.