Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS/FT: '90 Warwick Thumb Fretless

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Chace90, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    While I love this bass to death, I know now that it's too uncomfortable for me to play. I can't justify keeping this bass, seeing that it gets barely any use from me anymore. It deserves an owner who will put it to much better use. So, here's the specs:

Hand made in 1990 in West Germany
    Orginal EMG electronics and active pickups
    Neck-Through Design
    Bubinga body
    Neck constructed of bubinga and wenge
    Ebony fingerboard, just re-planed last spring with very little wear
    Two octave + a whole step range on the fingerboard.
    Replaced the brass just-a-nut with a bone nut
    Comes with after-market hardshell case (pictured), and Schaller strap locks.

This bass sings! Tons of MWAH. I've had this bass for just over a year and I am the second owner. I have invested $300 to plane the board and replace the nut. This bass is in imaculate shape with no dings or scratches. The neck is much thinner than the new warwicks. I was never a fan of the new chunky necks. Far too thick for my taste. I had the old nut replaced because it was too high off the fingerboard. On a fretless, the nut has to be cut very low. Doing this improved the intonation and open string tone immensely. (Now the open strings sound like the notes on the fingerboard!) The old nut is included.

The only flaw I would say it has is that the previous owner must have tried to finish the body with some sort of clear coat or wax, most likely to protect the wood. While it protects the wood and warwick recommends this, he didn't apply it properly. By no means does this affect the sound or playability of this instrument. I'll try and get some pictures of this finish, but it's really very hard to see. I have one picture, with more higher quality pics to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has questions or requests for other pictures, feel free to email me or send me a PM. I'm asking $1500 + shipping. The price is negotiable. I will also entertain any trade offers for another fretless or decent 5 string.

2. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bump & Edit: MORE PICS!

3. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    A curious PM sent.

4. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002